Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

S.African professional researchers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Sep 2007 17:49

Has anyone paid a S.African researcher to retrieve an estate file from their national archives? I paid a researcher recommended by S.African genealogy site £30 to retrieve a file 2 months ago; nothing has been received and when I make enquiries I'm told it will be 'shortly' or a 'day or two' but nothing happens. They know I can only ever see the file if someone personally copies it and sends it to me, so I have little choice but to hang on in the faint hope something eventually arrives.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 27 Sep 2007 17:57

here is the website for the national archives of south africa, try emailing them

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/

Katherine

Katherine Report 27 Sep 2007 18:25

Hello, I hired a researcher for my S A rellies via Ancestry24.co.za. I think I paid about £60 but it was worth it for the interesting stuff she found. She found documents, asked if I wanted them e.mailed or put on a CD, and offered me a quote which I accepted and a few weeks later I got my CD. I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting, how did you find your researcher?

Helen

Helen Report 27 Sep 2007 19:25

How frustrating! I'm a member of a mailing list for South African family history and asked there for recommended researchers.
The two names I was recommended are Graham Lloyd at [email protected] or Sharon at [email protected]. I haven't got round to contacting either of them yet. Please let me know if your slow researcher is one of these!
Previously the archives have sent me stuff but the last time I asked they said they don't have the resources.
I hope you don't have to wait much longer.
Helen

Bill

Bill Report 29 Sep 2007 00:13

Thanks for those names Helen!

I've been looking for someone in RSA to get hold of my mum's birth record, so I've just shot off an email to Graham Lloyd to see if he can obtain it for me.

I'll report back on the experience.

Cheers,

Bill
Sydney, Australia