Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How Do I Find A War Grave?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 28 Sep 2007 10:52

Hello
ive recentley discovered that my greatuncle died in the 1st world war, how do i now find where he is buried i have his army number.
not sure where to look next.
Thanks

Ann

Ann Report 28 Sep 2007 10:57

You should find it on this war graves web site Sham

http://www.cwgc.org

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 28 Sep 2007 11:12

thanks for that
i have found him but its really odd, it gives his date of death, age is unknown and where he is buried a long way from his home town, hes buried in a churchyard in suffolk, i dont think the family knew about this it seems so sad so that means he may have died in england.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2007 11:15

If his grave is in Suffolk...rather than just a commemoration,... you should be able to use the information found to order a death certificate in the usual way.

Perhaps there was a military base / hospital nearby?

Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Sep 2007 21:13

Hi Sharm
I searched for my great uncle and found a head stone with his name on in England but when I went onto www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details I found out that in fact his war grave was in France
Sheila

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Sep 2007 21:24

The details on the CWGC site are sometimes just places where the person is commemorated in another country - not necessarily where the person is buried.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't actually have a grave as their bodies were never recovered, but they are remembered with their name on a memorial.

Kath. x

English Bob

English Bob Report 28 Sep 2007 22:04

..loads of War Graves and Memorials in England for those who served overseas.

Your relative may have died in UK from wounds, influenza, etc.

Put his name and service number on the boards, there are plenty of folks willing to have a look and give an opinion.

But you have to be about when you ask the Q's

best regards, Bob