Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT IS THE FREE WAY TO CHECK BIRTHS ETC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 29 Sep 2007 22:56

everyone seems to be able to check records for free..
what site should I be looking on???

Thanks for any info..

Heather

Heather Report 29 Sep 2007 23:00

freebmd has 1837-around 1910 bmds. But most of us have a sub to ancestry for all the census records, complete bmds and lots of other info.

familysearch IGI have some pre 1837 records.

Peter

Peter Report 29 Sep 2007 23:05

Beverley,

The freebmd and other sites will only give you the index entries. Actually to check the births etc you will have to buy the certificates. If you don't, you are merely guessing and you all your subsequent research could be wrong.

Peter

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Sep 2007 10:46

Beverley

Have you read the two threads at the top of this board?

They are full of useful info, and advice, for new researchers.

I'm sure you would find them helpful..........

Can I just point out that much of the bmd info posted on here is provided by people who have paid to join either Ancestry or findmypast.........we try to encourage people to look first on freebmd before asking for lookups they can do themselves........

Good luck

Reg