Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"in law" meaning "adopted"?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 30 Sep 2007 11:21

Hi all,
I've come across 3 people on census recently where the relation to the head of house is son or daughter "in law".
They were all children, with different surnames to the head of house and his wife. One was only 3 yrs old.
Am I right in thinking it must mean "adopted"? Or something other than what we mean nowadays? Stepchildren?
Petrina

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 30 Sep 2007 11:24

My experience has been that quite a lot of step children or parents are often called "in law".

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Sep 2007 11:25

It usually means step-daughter or step-son.

Kath. x

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 30 Sep 2007 11:25

Thanks, Susan,Kathleen that will give me another path to check!
P

Kate

Kate Report 30 Sep 2007 13:44

Yes, I have that with my great-grandma. Her mum had an illegitimate baby son, then married great-great grandad and had the eldest two. Her kids with the husband were down as "son" and "daughter" but the illegitimate son (under her maiden name, not the husband's name) was "son in law".

I always presumed, with census records, it was a way for the head to say "this is not my child but in law I would be considered his father" or something similar. (Interestingly, when I went through the parish records, it turned out that illegitimate son was baptised, aged 6, the same day as his younger baby half-brother and both children were given the name of the man they probably knew as "Father".)

Heather

Heather Report 30 Sep 2007 14:37

Usually find its step children that a remarriage has brought along. You will probably find by the next census they have been integrated into the family and the step fathers name is being used. The only time they seem to revert to their original name is on official docs like Marriage certs and Military sign ups.