Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMDonline e-Petition to Downing Street

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 30 Sep 2007 20:03

There is an e-Petition on the Downing Street site.

It reads:

The GRO's project to put 170 years of national BMD data online is at least twelve months behind schedule. Due to budgetary constraints and overspend on this and other IT projects, the GRO is now also unlikely to find funding in the near future to create the online index search facility that users of the new service will need to access it.

The closure of the Public Search Room facilities at the Family Records Centre building in Myddleton Street in October 2007 and the end of access to the 6,550 physical ledgers held there was intended to go hand in hand with the arrival of online indexes to birth, marriages and death records, a promise that is now in the process of being broken.

To sign this petition go to

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BMDonline/

Susie Floosie

Susie Floosie Report 30 Sep 2007 23:08

Sounds important to me please add your signature.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 1 Oct 2007 00:35

Thanks a lot Pam....I had read about this in a couple of family history magazines including the new WDYTYA mag.

I have signed.

Linda

Gordon

Gordon Report 1 Oct 2007 09:55

Presumably the "restraints" are a result of this nation overspending in our efforts to protect the USA from invasion by various Middle Eastern countries; namely Iraq & Afghanistan to name but a few !

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 1 Oct 2007 10:32

Hi

I have just read this thread so thought I would sign the petition as I have only just started researching my tree, only to find 125 signatures on the pretition.

I think everyone on this site should sign up and show our support, at the end of the day it is going to benefit us all if it works.

Lorraine

Rita

Rita Report 1 Oct 2007 10:46

will certainly add my support, but bet we are on a hiding to nothing like most political petitions xxxxx