Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find a marriage before 1837 please anyone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 10:16

I have a charles Jiggens marrying Mary ? in Essex, he's from Bulphan, she's from North Ockendon I think, married about 1825-1829? I tried Pallots Index on Ancestry but couldnt find anything, anyone got any tips for me?

Thanks

Julie

Heather

Heather Report 1 Oct 2007 10:48

You could read the Tips for new members!! :)

But apart from pallots which has very few marriages really - have you tried the familysearch IGI? Its free - again its not got all events prior to 1837 and some are submitted by members and can be very iffy.

I would really suggest you read the tips stuck at the top of the board to find helpful links.

When you/if you do find the parish record for the marriage it is unlikely to give you anything other than their names and the witnesses. What you need to do really is buy the birth cert of one of their children born post 1837 for mum and dads full names, address and occupation.

Heather

Heather Report 1 Oct 2007 10:51

IGI SUBMITTED INFO: NOTE YOU WERE SAYING A MARRIAGE ONLY 9 YEARS AFTER THIS POSSIBLE BAPTISM THOUGH.

CHARLES JIGGINS Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 18 FEB 1816 Bulphan, Essex, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: THOMAS JIGGINS Family
Mother: DEBORAH JENKINS

Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.

Source Information:
Batch Number: 7310322
Sheet: 73
Source Call No.: 0822899

Iffy to say the least - you need to buy the birth cert of one of the children of the marriage and then you will be able to look for the marriage in parish records.

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 10:58

thanks Heather
I have that one but they are not in my direct tree, my Charles was born 1796 and mary born 1806. I am trying to find out what area they may have married in so I can access the appropriate parish records.

Moggie

Moggie Report 1 Oct 2007 11:13

Hi Julie
You could ask someone to do you a look up in Boyds Marriage Index. This can be found at British Origins website. I can't do this for you as I no longer have a sub with them. If nothing shows up in Boyds send me a PM and I will give you the name and address of the man who compiled the Essex Marriage Index. He will do a search for you.
Kind regards
Maureen

Heather

Heather Report 1 Oct 2007 11:15

You could try putting a look up request over on Records Boards, I seem to remember a kind soul over there found my marriage in Essex from cds she has.

Where was the first child born? The mother often went to stay with mum for the first confinement and that area may be the place they married?

Julie

Julie Report 1 Oct 2007 11:27

thank you Moggie and Heather. I didnt think of Boyds.

Heather-I think Mary was from North Ockendon.