Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage which surname?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 1 Oct 2007 14:37

Does anyone know if when a person gets married is the maiden name used or the surname when there has already been a marriage? Does that make sense?
I have been trying to find someone who gives 2 surnames on her sons birth cert so have been trying to find a marriage to the sons father.

Thanks
Elaine

Pete

Pete Report 1 Oct 2007 15:11

It is usually the surname by which they are known at the time of the marriage.

So Mary SMITH formerly Bloggins would appear on her marriage cert (if you are lucky).

Any subsequent children should have her maiden name ( as that is what is requested) on the birth cert.

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 1 Oct 2007 15:16

Hi Elaine , entered under name and surname shows name from previous marriage , condition will tell you if married before ie widow, What does it say under fathers name and surname ? Kim

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Oct 2007 15:19

Kim

That would be on the marriage cert...not on child's birth cert..............

Reg

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 1 Oct 2007 15:23

Hi Kim
Cert has fathers name John Bell under mother Elvia Bell later Henry formerly Bywater

Elaine

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 1 Oct 2007 15:24

Hi Reg , was replying to the first part of the question. Kim

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 1 Oct 2007 15:25

I only have the birth cert I am trying to see if I can find a marriage between John and Elvia

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 1 Oct 2007 15:32

Could it mean her maiden name was Bywater , then she married John Bell but was married again to someone called Henry before the child was born ? Did John die whie she was pregnant ? Hope this makes sense ... ps what is the date on the birth certificate ?... Kim

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 1 Oct 2007 15:38

I think it means her maiden name was Bywater married a Henry then John Bell. I can't find either so was wondering if records would show Henry or Bywater. I am starting to go through the complete BMD. She does not seem to have been born either!! Perhaps I should give up and come back to it in a few months time !!!
Elaine

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 1 Oct 2007 15:40

Date on birth cert was 1864 district of Marylebone

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 1 Oct 2007 15:52

I,m popping out to pick up son, could you give me the childs full name an I will have a go when I get back. Might not be much use though ... LOL Kim

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Oct 2007 15:52

Have you located the family on any census?

Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Oct 2007 16:46

When she married John Bell she should be listed under Elvia Henry, as that was her first married name and Bywater was her maiden name.

Kath. x