Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth on free bmd but not on Ancestry - Any Ideas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 2 Oct 2007 09:09

Hi all, Could someone please explain why I can find a birth on North Wales Bmd & Free BMD but I can't find it on ancestry. This has happened a few times so I know it's not just this one entry. I have the GRO number but am curios why this happens. Thanks Lou

Pam

Pam Report 2 Oct 2007 09:22

As I understand it, FreeBMD is doing the transcribing which Ancestry then add to their lists so there is always a delay from FreeBMD to Ancestry.

Heather

Heather Report 2 Oct 2007 09:30

The freebmd site is being transcribed by volunteers - so it will always be slightly ahead of ancestrys freebmd who use the same info.

However, have you checked ancestrys complete bmd index - not the freebmd partial name search one, but the checking the original images one?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Oct 2007 09:31

the Freebmd are transcribed, as Pam said, but Ancestry have the index for the Complete BMD so if you want to check an entry from freebmd you need to view the actual image on ancestry Complete 1837-1983 index

If it has been transcribed the the entry will be their

Roy

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 2 Oct 2007 09:35

Hi All, Thank you so much for your help. I did try the complete index and it's still not there, but your explanations are a great help. That will explain why in the past I've not been able to find an entry but then at a much later date it's there. Once again thanks for your help, it's much appreciated and things are much clearer now. Good luck to you all in your own research, Take care Lou