Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Local library access to Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 2 Oct 2007 18:23

Could anyone tell me please whether the access in your local library is for Ancestry UK only or can you access Ancestry USA/Worldwide.
By the time I get in from work it's too late to phone and ask.
Thanks
Di

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Oct 2007 18:29

I didn't think there was any library access to Ancestry anymore. I stand to be corrected.
Margaret

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 2 Oct 2007 18:31

When I contacted my local reference library yesterday to arrange a visit I was informed that they couldn't provide any info that wasn't already available at my local library and she mentioned Ancestry.
Di

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Oct 2007 19:14

I would think it depended on the library and which sub they have.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 2 Oct 2007 19:37

Janet
Thank you. I'll make enquiries tomorrow locally.
Di

Huia

Huia Report 2 Oct 2007 19:44

Be sure to check out any 'info' you find on Ancestry trees. Some of it is totally spurious unless my sister was even more clever than I thought, marrying a man 204 yrs her senior and having a daughter 180 her senior!
Having said that, I have been successful in finding info on my gt gt aunt who disappeared from England after the 1871 census, along with her father, stepmother and a sister. I have found she m in America (twice) and had 3 children, and it all checks out as various people have sent various bits of info, including a family photo with her in! Apparently the family went to America in 1871.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 2 Oct 2007 22:14

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Ancestry UK and have never looked at the trees. No particular reason why. I just wondered whether the libraries had USA/Worldwide but not too concerned now as I have loads of avenues to follow with the good advice on this thread and PM's.
Thanks again.
Di