Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Pensions Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 3 Oct 2007 14:56

I am trying to find my grandfather's service record using the 'new' Ancestry list. I know he received a pension after losing an arm at Ypres and I have his Regimental Number, but not Service Number. However I just can't find him, despite trawling thro all surname variants etc etc and etc! Does anyone have any idea why - apart from just plain human error in the transcribing?
Hope someone can help,
Sue

Potty

Potty Report 3 Oct 2007 15:09

Could this be the reason (from Ancestry - just below search box):

The British Army World War One Pension Records are War Office (WO) records also known as the WO364 records and the ‘Unburnt collection’, due to these records surviving a World War Two bombing raid on the War Office in London where they were held. During this raid, a large portion (approximately 60 per cent) of the British Army World War One Service Records, also known as the WO363 records were destroyed by fire. The surviving service records have also become known as the ‘Burnt collection’.

Although many of these records suffered water damage following the bombing raid, all surviving service and pension records were digitised by The National Archives, where both collections are held, as part of a major TNA conservation project.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Oct 2007 15:10

Not human error in transcribing......just that not all records survived.

My uncle received a pension........I remember going with him to the Post Office to collect it.........but his info is not there, either.

Reg

Just Jill x

Just Jill x Report 3 Oct 2007 15:32

If you know his regiment you could try googling that and see what comes up. I got some info that way but not the pension,

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 3 Oct 2007 21:34

Thanks everyone!
I always understood that the 'Burnt Records' were just the standard service histories whereas the Pension Records were separate and survived unscathed? I could be wrong tho!!
I've actually visited his Regimental Museum but no help there as all records were centralised apparently. I even got a copy of their War Diary for the relevant period, but no help there as only officers were mentioned by name, all other casualties were just counted by numbers killed or wounded. Sad isn't it?

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions,
Sue