Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardeners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 3 Oct 2007 19:31

Hello
One of my many times greatgrandfathers was a gardener by occupation in the 1841 and 51 census, in 1841 he was living in Bethnal Green, london and 51 census in Lewisham village.
now would he have been working for the local council or on a large estate or something?
Just interested so thought id ask
Thankyou.

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 3 Oct 2007 19:56

thanks christine
it does seem odd in bethnal green! perhaps he travelled to the big house
he was born in Sandy, Bedfordshire and there are a lot of gardeners there.

Joan

Joan Report 4 Oct 2007 08:16

Hi Sharm
Do the neighbours in the censuses give you any clues.
Some of mine lived in cottages tied to their job...I would look at the census pages before and after...if you see what I mean.
Good luck
Joan

Heather

Heather Report 4 Oct 2007 09:33

Yes, the census should give you clues - give us his name etc and we can have a look see.

Lewisham at that time was a place where some quite wealthy people lived - often having been involved with the Navy - its very near Greenwich and the Royal Docks at Deptford. My own GGFx4 (who had been a Victualler - dolling out the rations and supplies to ships) retired to a house in Loam Pit Hill, Lewisham where he died a "gentleman" in 1823 leaving a lot of dosh.

Its highly unlikely your chap would have travelled far to a job, commuting didnt happen then for working class people, you worked as near as possible to where you lived.

I always google for old prints/images of places when I find new ancestors, just to get a feel for where they lived. I found a lovely old print of Loam Pit Hill just the same year as GGFx4 death - it looked like countryside - overlooking Greenwich, amazing when you think what its like now.

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 4 Oct 2007 11:09

my 3xgreat grandfather,originated from lewisham, and then moved to islington, he is on 1841 census in barking,essex, occupation gardener.
i know on 1881 census he is receiving a superannuated pension, which i presume was from barking council parks dept.

RobG

RobG Report 4 Oct 2007 13:50

My OH's g-father is listed in the 1901 census as a gardener and he was working in Hyde Park, so your gardener may have been employed by royalty !! LOL