Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

See this...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 3 Oct 2007 20:48

Testing...testing...testing

Right here...

Its really beginning to p*** me off.

Why wont it change when you edit the original message?

Why??? I think it really confuses some people.

Especially when people are offering look ups then close/edit the message, people still see "such and such lookups offered" and post. True they should read the whole message but wouldnt it be helpful if it could be edited!

Mhairi
...rant over, everyone can now return to normal...or as normal as you get when you have this hobby :p

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 3 Oct 2007 20:50

And why do they bunch the text up?

And why have they removed my and dots?

What is the point of composing a nice looking message when they cram the first part of it into the tiny space under the header?

*deep breaths*

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 3 Oct 2007 21:13

I've just seen your Records Office thread & can now see the problem is. Have you contacted Genes about this? It must be a right pain for you especially as you are good enough to do Scottish lookups when you go to Edinburgh.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 3 Oct 2007 21:16

Hi Mhairi,

I said the same thing a week or so ago. An old thread of mine came up again and I needed to change the Heading but I couldn't as there is nothing to let you change a heading. If you make a mistake or just simply want to add something you can't.

I contacted GR about suggesting it would be a good idea to add this but as yet I haven't had a reply.

Betty

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 3 Oct 2007 21:26

I just really hate people wasting there time, adding to the thread when i'm not going to be able to help them.

I'll try contacting GR some time soon. It really should be fixed.

I can change the heading Betty. You just go to the first message and click edit. It should bring up the oringinal message you put up, header as well.

Mhairi

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 3 Oct 2007 21:30

Hi Mhairi,

I didn't know that!! The heading I had was a long one and was just cut off the end, will give what you suggested a try, thanks.

Betty

Ann

Ann Report 3 Oct 2007 23:30

Hi Mhairi
Are you refering to the Thread which is "Closed" ?
Can you not just delete it? (or is that the problem).

I thought maybe you could delete that one + add another thread explaining.
OR maybe I am completely on the wrong track!

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 4 Oct 2007 11:32

Hey Ann

If i delelet then people wont be able to find the information i've found for them.

Its easier, i think, for my replies to go on the same thread that they requested the information then people can just go onto their "My Threads"

The threads do have CLOSED in the first box so if anyone is reading the thread properly, they should know not to post.

Next time i post up a post its going to be worded differently so there shouldnt be as much of a problem.

Its just a pain, thats all and i felt the need to vent a little.

Mhairi

Ann

Ann Report 4 Oct 2007 19:52

It does you good to have a grumble now + again
Mhairi! LOL
Hope you have sorted it now.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 4 Oct 2007 23:11

Hey Brenda

As you can see i have edited the first message but you still see the previous message underneath the header, when it is on the board (before you open the message up fully).

Does that make sense?