Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BRICKWALL -Edward Brittain WINTER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 17:46

Hello I wonder if some kind person could help me

The above person was my Great G Uncle. I did not even know he existed because he was never mentioned by my family.

He was born in 1866 in Bermondsey, Surrey.

I have found him on the 1871, 1881 censuses.

Last record of him was as a witness at his brother's wedding in 1887.

Since then he seems to have disappeared. No record of him in 1901 (that I can see)

Have searched Shipping Information etc. to no avail.

Have been looking for the last 3 years.

Thanks in advance

Pam

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 17:52

Thanks Brenda.

Yes that is him.

But I would like to know what happened to him after 1887. Did he marry When did he die?

Thanks again

K

K Report 4 Oct 2007 18:40

I have looked and can't find him either. As his brother and he were both clerks in 1881 and his brother ended up in the Isle of Man as a commercial traveller in 1901 I would have thought it quite possible he went abroad.

ancesteronboard(.)com remove brackets appears to have shipping lists from 1890 to 1930 but I couldn't see anyone who matched your Edward and as you say you have already searched these

Good Luck and sorry not to be more help Kay

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 18:40

nudge! please!

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 18:49

Hi Kay

thank you so much for your efforts.

Yes I guess he did go abroad at some time.

I do so wish I had asked my grandmother more when she was alive.

Pam

K

K Report 4 Oct 2007 19:07

I agree - my grandmother died when I was 10 and it took 20 years to find her birth - She lied about her age in both her marraiges and I only found her through the 1901 Census. Maybe he will be on the 1911?

Kay

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 19:10

Hope so Kay!

However the quality of the 1911 is supposed to be in doubt.

P

PamelaD

PamelaD Report 4 Oct 2007 20:12

nudge