Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 News item in Sydney

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Di

Di Report 5 Oct 2007 01:05

An ancestor of mine died as a result having an accident on a Punt in Sydney in June 1911. It must have made the papers? Where would I be able to search the papers---if I ever get to Sydney. Or is there any way on line I could do this?

Also interested in B-M-D announcements

Di in West Sussex

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 5 Oct 2007 01:10

Hi Di in West Sussex

If he died in Sydney in 1911, you should be able to find

1.on-line free index to death certificate, will family details, also if there was an inquest (if you want to purchase use a transcription agent, details on bdm website ) www.bdm.nsw.gov.au go to historical indexes. Also marriages to 1956, births to 1906, deaths to 1976

2. Inquest if there was one - try www.records.nsw.gov.au, not sure if anything is on-line.

3. Newspaper reports, once you can find the date, you can "ask a librarian" at the NSW state library (www.sl.nsw.gov.au) - they have microfilm of the Sydney Morning Herald, forever.

My ancestors came from Graffham and Sutton in West Sussex, its a beautiful place

Di in Sydney

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 5 Oct 2007 01:10

Hi Di

New South Wales BDM on line index search link
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

You can search Births [1788 - 1906]
Deaths [1788 - 1976] Marriages [1788 - 1956]

Helen
Brisbane OZ

whoops have overlapped with Di from Sydney :-)

Di

Di Report 5 Oct 2007 02:09

Thanks Di in Sydney--Which is my home town.I was born and brought up in Mosman. Now I live in Northchapel very close to Graffam and Sutton--Nice pubs beautiful country,as you say.
I have death cert of the silly fellow who fell down a stoke hole n' died,later in hospital --maybe just deserts as evidence is indicating----bigamy.Tch Tch!
Thanks for all the tips.I will see if I can find out about an inquest.Will visit the Library 'when' I can get over for a visit
Di w. sussex

Di

Di Report 5 Oct 2007 02:23

Helen in Brisbane,Oz.
How is the sunshine?
Thanks for your help. I have used the on line BDM and had a couple of certificates transcribed to me by
Marilyn Rowan a Trans agent. Very helpful.
Thanks again for 'Your' help.

Di W. Sussex

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 5 Oct 2007 04:03

Hi Di

what a co-incidence !!

As well as the Sydney Morning Herald, the state library has lots of more local newspapers - Manly, Parramatta, Illawarra, every district seemed to have their own paper, and I have found articles in them.

In 1911, I think the adverts were still on the front page, and the news followed, and did not have big banner headlines like we do today, so searching can be very intensive.

My great-grandfather had a "seizure" on the Manly ferry on the way home one evening in 1922, was taken to Sydney Hospital and died there the next day - there was quite a write-up in the paper. Although I still don't know how far into the voyage they were, presumably less than half way or they would have gone on to Manly.

Hope you can find something

Diane

Di

Di Report 6 Oct 2007 01:29

Thanks for the extra tips. Funny that you also have an ancestor who died after being on a boat. Mine also died in Sydney Hospital. In 1911 there must have been quite a few 'punts' as the Harbour and Spit bridge and others had not been built---I think?
It will be interesting to read more about the incident.
Would you know where I would look to find out if he had a will and can one get copies -- if so?
Di -- West Sussex.

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 6 Oct 2007 05:37

Hi Di

For Wills - the NSW Sumpreme Court, but costs a bomb.

Probate and deceased estate packets (for state taxation purposes) NSW State Records have some on-line, don't remember dates (www.records.nsw.gov.au).

There is also a lady who will copy the deceased estate packets for you - if you are interested, I will look for her email address.

Di

Di

Di Report 6 Oct 2007 17:09

Thanks Di---You are a GEM ! And you know SOOO much. Brilliant!
A very appreciative Di