Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage- please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 5 Oct 2007 11:26

i have been told by all parties that my great grandfather's sister (Beatrice Louise Gannaway) did not marry, however i was on freembd looking for ggrandfathers marriage (sydney gannaway) and in the same quarter of the same year in the same place there is a marriage for a beatrice L Gannaway. is there anyway i can find out if this a marriage for her without ordering the cert?

do you think she could have married and whoever told me was confused or do you think it unlikely to be her?

thanks for reading!
Leanne

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Oct 2007 11:29

If you send for Sydney's marriage certificate it should give you his father's name (unless he was illegitimate). You could then give this father's name as a checking point if you decide to send for the marriage certificate for Beatrice.

It sounds most likely to be her if it's in the same place, but I suppose it could be some other relation with the same name.

Have you found Beatrice on the census using her maiden name, or does she disappear after the date of the marriage?

Kath. x

:) still smiling :) Report 5 Oct 2007 11:31

thanks kathleen,
i have sydney's fathers name, was just looking to complete my records on him really.

i haven't sent for cert with checking point before, does that mean they will check that father's name is the same before they send it to me?
thanks
leanne

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Oct 2007 11:35

Yes. When you finish filling in the online form there is a page marked "reference checking". You put the father's name in this page (NOT on the first page where you put Beatrice's name).

They will then check this name on the certificate. If it is the same they send you the certificate and you still just pay the £7. If it is a different name they will not send the certificate and will charge you £3 for checking and refund you £4.

Kath. x

:) still smiling :) Report 5 Oct 2007 11:38

oh i see thanks kathleen that's really helpful. will check again with family see if anyone vaguely remembers a marriage, and will probably order the cert. thank you very much for replying.

thanks
leanne.x

Clive

Clive Report 5 Oct 2007 11:46

If you go back to FreeBMD and find the GRO reference. Click on it and you will get a list of possible husbands. That may give you a clue.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Oct 2007 11:58

No need to guess the husband's name..........

Edward G Batchelor 1919 Apr-May-Jun Gannaway Greenwich Greater London, Kent, London
Beatrice L Gannaway 1919 Apr-May-Jun Batchelor Greenwich Greater London, Kent, London

Reg

:) still smiling :) Report 5 Oct 2007 12:07

thank you to both of you. i have her death cert in my records. if he had died shortly after they married my grandfather possibly may not have realised she had married at all ecause he was not born until 1925. ok will prob order the cert. thank you all.

leanne.x