Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1856 Marriage Taylor and Lawrence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 5 Oct 2007 13:40

Hi Folks,
I am trying to find the marriage of William Taylor and Jane Lawrence which supposedly took place 13/02/1856 in Liverpool. I could not find it on Ancestry. William was born in 1826 Inveresk Scotland and Jane was born in 1822 Poulton Lancashire. They must also have somehow emigrated to Australia around 1856 because their first child William was born around 1857 in Emerald Hill Victoria. Any help would be much appreciated.
John

John

John Report 5 Oct 2007 16:43

Hi Lyne
Thank you for replying. I have found my William Taylor information on familysearch.org but unfortunately it is from a user submitted tree. I was hoping to find definite proof by obtaining the marriage certificate. I have found this William Taylor on 1851 England census. His occupation is gardener and he is a lodger with a family so no further help there. Kind Regards John

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Oct 2007 17:28

Hi John

Have you searched a few years either side of the given date of marriage? The day may be right but the year might be not as stated. Perhaps they married after William's birth.

Or maybe they'd married a few years before - perhaps there was an older child?

Jill

John

John Report 5 Oct 2007 17:48

Hi Jill.
Thank you for your suggestion. The familysearch.org pedigree record suggests that Jane's surname may have been LAWRENSEN. I have now found Jane Lawrenson born 1822 Poulton Lancashire in 1851 census. She is the stepdaughter of Thomas and Margaret Greenwood so the possibility exists that she may have married as Jane Greenwood.

John

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Oct 2007 21:35

Hi John!

Here are your 1851 people in 1841:

Name: Jane Lawrenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Where born: Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Poulton Le Fylde
Hundred: Amounderness
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: Fylde
Sub-registration district: Poulton le Fylde

Household Members: Name Age
John Chamley 25
Ann Clucas 25
William Clucas 30
William Clucas 1
Jane Lawrenson 20
Mary Lawrenson 25

Name: Thomas Greenwood
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1791
Where born: Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Poulton Le Fylde
Hundred: Amounderness
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: Flyde
Sub-registration district: Poulton le Fylde

Household Members: Name Age
Margaret Greenwood 45
Margaret Greenwood 6
Richard Greenwood 13
Robert Greenwood 3
Thomas Greenwood 50
Thomas Greenwood 7

One reason I'm looking -- I'd already played with your problem a bit to no avail -- is that cagsie has challenged me to do something (I'm not quite sure what yet ...) with her LAWRENSONs:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=954368

"it's those mysterious Lawrensons again" on Tips board

-- you'll note that Lawrenson name become Lawrence in some instances.

I'm just wondering whether you two should talk. ;)

Joan

Joan Report 6 Oct 2007 09:03

Hi John
On freebmd you can search for people by first name only...I looked for marriages of William taylor to Jane....and the one you want doesn't seem to be there.

Wonder if they were married at sea?
Joan

John

John Report 6 Oct 2007 21:27

Hi Joan and Kathryn,
The pedigree on IGI suggests that William Taylor and Jane Lawrence (Lawrenson) were married in Liverpool 13/02/1856 but I cannot find them. I even tried the bmd for New South Wales in Australia because Liverpool is a town there. I do not have these people in my tree. I am just trying to help another GR member who is trying to find William Taylor's parents. I have passed on the 1841 census information. Thank you for helping.
John

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Aug 2012 13:58

Hi John, I am descended from William Taylor and Jane Lawrenson. Like everyone else I am unable to find their marriage certificate !. Their first child William James Taylor was born 11 Dec 1856 in Emerald Hill, Vic. They also had a daughter, Mary Margaret "Lillie" Taylor. William was part owner of a Nursery in Toorak, "Sangster and Taylor". This later expanded to Mount Macedon.Their home was called "Inverlawren"
Sandra.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2012 15:29

Old post, Sandra

If you think John's e-mail is still the same as in 2007, click on his name to send a message via GR

But John isn't connected, so probably has lost interest