Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census help - please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 6 Oct 2007 16:00

Can somebody PLEASE help me find John William Robinson in the 1901 census?

1871 - census he is listed as 6 months old and born in Deighton, Yorkshire. I assume he was born late 1870 in fact I have located a very likely birth. (Census Ref. RG10 4862 78 4).

1881 - census he is listed aged 9 living with his widowded mother in Birkby. Born in Deighton, Yorkshire. (Census Ref. RG11 4868 70 3)

1891 - census he is listed as aged 20, living with his grandfather and born in Deighton, Yorkshire. (Census Ref. RG12 3984 50 10).

I can't find him anywhere in the 1901 census, he didn't die because he married and had 6 children. As yet I haven't looked for John William's marriage . . . . this will be my next step.

This is research I am doing for someone in Canada.

Can somebody please help!

Brian (Stu)

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 6 Oct 2007 16:08

A few more details might help like his wife's name & his occupation.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 6 Oct 2007 16:15

I'm afraid that's all I know at the moment, I don't know when he married. I hoped to find him in 1901, and if he had married by then I would get his wifes name . . . sorry !

In 1891 he was a farm servant.

I have tried different permutations but I can't find him . . . . help ! !

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 6 Oct 2007 17:52

Has nobody any tips to help me solve this mystery . . . . please!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Oct 2007 18:15

he may have joined up and was away in the Boar war.

i couldnt find my grandad on the 1901 but found his army papers at Kew .he joined the Army in 1898

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 18:18

I was going to suggest the Boer War too. That's why my grandfather isn't on the 1901 census - because he was fighting in South Africa.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Oct 2007 18:20

am puzzled you said he married a Mary Atkinson who was born in 1911 or is it Robert henry who married mary ??

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 18:28

I agree with Shirley. If it was John Wiliam who married Mary Atkinson born 1911, then he would be 40 years older than her and quite old to go on to have 6 children. Or have we misunderstood your information?

Kath. x

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 6 Oct 2007 18:53

Hi Kathleen & Shirley . . . . I hadn't thought of the Boer War.

I'm sorry it was the way I worded my posting. Rather than confuse the story I have re-worded my request because the other names are irrelevant anyway.

Just a senior moment ! ! !

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 7 Oct 2007 17:01

I guess if he wasn't serving in the Boer war he is just one of those persons missing from the 1901 census, unless of course someone can find him for me.