Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Occupier' on Birth Cert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 6 Oct 2007 22:08

I have a birth cert 4a 734, a maybe for OHs grandfather William George Smith b. 1/6/1871 Blundeston, but I'm not sure it "fits".

The informant is Naomi Smith, occupier. There is no house address so can anyone tell me please what 'occupier' would mean under these circumstances.

Thanks. Jo

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 22:10

I should think it means the person who owns or is in charge of the address. Maybe your relative rented the house or rented rooms from this person.

Kath. x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 6 Oct 2007 22:14

Jo

Did you mean a DEATH cert and not a birth cert?

I'm confussed as to having an 'informant' on a birth cert?

Gerri

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 6 Oct 2007 22:18

Thanks Kath,

I must admit that's what I thought but it seemed odd that there was no address mentioned and it was another Smith.

I've been having so much trouble with William George. I know when and how he died but his death certificate still eludes me. As for a definite birth cert.- I keep going round in circles without that Eureka moment.

Jo

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 22:18

You DO have an informant on a birth certificate. It is usually one of the parents but it can be someone else.

Kath. x

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 6 Oct 2007 22:25

Thanks all. Yes is is a birth cert. The mother is Harriet Smith but there is no father mentioned. Presumably Naomi was a relation but I've not really pinned her down either.

William George's marriage certificate has his father down as Joseph Smith.

Jo

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 22:30

If there is no mention of a father on the birth certificate, then I would suspect that the father on the marriage certificate is either a grandfather, other male relative, or just a name made up to look a bit more respectable in front of the in-laws.

I doubt that Naomi is a relative, because if she was it would probably give her relationship, although I could be wrong about that.

UPDATE - It looks like Naomi may be Harriet's mother. On the 1871 census there is a single Harriet Smith in Blundeston with parents George and what is transcribed as Nanna but the image looks more like Naomi. They are living in Market Road

Kath. x

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 6 Oct 2007 22:46

Thanks Kath
I wondered if Joseph was perhaps a step-father, or maybe real father who acknowledged his son at some stage after the birth?

I first started looking for these people last year and came to a standstill. Just this week I thought I would give it another try but my head is already spinning with what-ifs and maybes.

Jo

Just seen your update. I will take a look at it and see if I can work anything out from that.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Oct 2007 22:54

Have had a look at the same family on the 1861 census and the mother's name is definitely Naomi.

Kath. x

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 6 Oct 2007 23:13

Thanks again. I feel we may be getting somewhere Harriet's baby was obviously given second name after her father but I wonder where William comes from? And Joseph? I'm still intrigued about him.

The only potential candidate I've found is a Joseph Smith on board the fishing boat "Rosetta" in 1881. He was only 28 and already a widower. I should add that William George was a fisherman and died at sea in 1931.

I now have a lot more facts to search for thanks to your ideas.

Jo