Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finacial aid in 1912

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kieron

Kieron Report 6 Oct 2007 23:53

Hello
during my research I have discovered that my GGrandfather died in 1912 at the age of 42, leaving seven children (the eldest was 12) and his wife. His wife did not remarry for 11 years. They must have found life very hard....does anyone know if there was financial aid available to them at this time or would they of had to rely on the extended family?
thanks
Kieron

Al M

Al M Report 7 Oct 2007 13:31

The workhouse would certainly have been available to them.

feralcat

feralcat Report 7 Oct 2007 15:11

Hi,

I found this, hope it helps...

Until the mid 19th century, the local parish provided the ‘safety net’ of financial aid, shelter or food for those in need.
The poor relief work of the individual parishes was gradually taken over by unions of parishes run by boards of guardians. The records of these bodies can contain the same information as those of the parishes. Their descriptions are to be found among the local government archive lists.

http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/2919.asp