Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on where to post questions please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

trinni

trinni Report 7 Oct 2007 16:25

Hello I'm new here and after a week am still not really sure where I post what. Records is pretty self explanatory, but what is the difference between the Trying to find, History, and Surname boards?
And what about general genealogy questions?
Sorry to be such a dunce.

Gill

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 7 Oct 2007 16:32

Hi Gill,
Glad you asked that question. I am quite new myself to posting on here, and on the few occasions I have posted I have been met with people who are polite and willing to give their time to help, or even just to wish me luck on my search.
However the last few weeks there has been an air of sarcasm, spite, at times downright nastiness, and what appears to be smallmindedness in response to some posts, so I will hang back for a while.

I wish you luck with your research
Regards
Lynda

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Oct 2007 16:43

The Trying to find board is mostly for people trying to find living people,

Tips board is for asking about a specific problem/question and for other experianced researchers to give tips on how/where to search

The Records board is mainly for lookups

copyed from the homepage see below

Trying to find; board for finding lost relatives
Tips board; for exchanging helpful genealogy hints
Records office; post requests or offer to help
General topics; for genealogy discussions and everyday topics
History; talk about history
Chat; chat to genealogists like yourself

Roy

trinni

trinni Report 7 Oct 2007 16:58

Many thanks Roy and Lynda.

Can anyone please tell me when a date of birth is unknown, what sort of average should I enter on my tree? Does it differ for men and women? Or should I not add them at all if I have no idea when they were born?
Also is there any benefit at all in adding the names of siblings?

Woody's

Woody's Report 7 Oct 2007 18:03

Hi Gill

Personally I like to add the siblings. Sometimes the person you're looking for can be a witness at a sibling's marriage or perhaps you will find a relative as a visitor on a census.

If you're not sure of dates and places of birth try to find them in a census as that may provide the info you need.

If you're not sure but want to add a person to your tree then make a note that you need to confirm the info.