Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

? about death certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 11 Oct 2007 15:25

Hi,

I was researching my gg grandfather & found lots of information on him however on his death certificate it shows he was married twice. I can't find a marriage certificate for his first marriage or any record of his first wife. Where would this information on his death cert have come from?

Thanks, Elizabeth

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 11 Oct 2007 15:29

The information would have been given by the death informant.

Historyman

Historyman Report 11 Oct 2007 15:43

The information must have come from the informant of the death, although it is difficult to think why it would be mentioned. In the case of a lady of course marriage etc could have changed her name several times prompting explanatory text.If death prior to 1901 census searches could provide other Christian names of wife. In this period also spelling variations are a regular occurence. I would also visit local probate office and look for a will. The index of same gives very good information, and if entry found copy of will or administration can be ordered.
If 1901+ use address on certificate to search for Electoral register. Then go back year by year looking for a different person sharing the home.
Hope some of this helps

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 11 Oct 2007 16:11

Thank you for all your help. I'll try & find his 2nd marriage cert.
Elizabeth.