Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone On Here Studied At Oxford Uni?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 11 Oct 2007 18:53

Just wanted to know if they keep records of past students i mean a really long time ago the early 19th century.
Thankyou

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 11 Oct 2007 20:00

Sharm

Red Brick Unis usually have records dating back to their inception.

If you know the College then I would suggest 'Google' to find their Archivist. However, be warned, they may only work part time so be willing to wait for a response to any enquiry.

Chris.

*** My son is at Oxford Brookes.....Called 'The Early Learning Centre' by the Red Brick lot :) lol

Teresa

Teresa Report 11 Oct 2007 20:07

This is from Ancestry.co.uk. Hope it helps

About Oxford University Alumni, 1500-1886
This database contains a register of students, graduates, and officers who attended Oxford University between 1500 and 1886. This work is valuable because of the biographical information provided about each individual.

For more information about this database,
This database contains a register of students, graduates, and officers who attended Oxford University between 1500 and 1886. This work is valuable because of the biographical information provided about each individual. Such information includes parentage, birthplace, birth year, date and age of matriculation, and degree obtained. This database may also be valuable to researchers of social history as items such as descriptions of the social status of the students' fathers are also included.

The original work was organized into two multi-volume series. The earlier series covers the years 1500-1714, while the other covers the years 1715-1886. The register is alphabetical and as such is divided appropriately between the volumes and series.

At the time of printing (late nineteenth century), this work was the most complete list of Oxford alumni for the time period covered, as the University had only previously published a list of alumni from 1660-1850.

Teresa

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 12 Oct 2007 09:02

hi sorry for the late reply got kicked of puter.
chris ive emailed the magdalen college fingers crossed for a reply i know my 4x greatuncle did study there, i found him on the almuni.
im hoping they still hold the records of his time there.
teresa thanks also for the info