Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on how to tackle Norfolk,please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 13 Oct 2007 15:15

Hi all,
I've just been reading old threads on Norfolk as I'm finding 2 different branches go back there.
I see there's not much on IGI.
I've tried 'genealogoly.doun.org'. -the villages I need have no records listed.
I've googled the villages, without success.
I've enquired at Norfolk record office- they were keen to help but will charge me £13.50 for 1 baptism look up (plus £1.50 for a copy)
and if its the right baptism I'll just want lots more look ups!
So, advice please- should I buy a CD or something (if available for the areas) or have I missed some other way to check?

Petrina

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 13 Oct 2007 15:19

What parishes are you looking for?

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 13 Oct 2007 15:21

Hi Jo,
My hot lead at the moment is for TALCONESTON,
but I'm also interested in TOFT MONKS

Petrina

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 13 Oct 2007 15:24

Hi Petrina

I have a couple of cd's. I will check them and come back to you.

Have you tried freebmd as they have transcribed quite a lot of Norfolk parishes.

Jo

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 13 Oct 2007 15:28

Jo,
I use Ancestry, so I've got quite a lot of stuff, my main problem is the Talconeston link is a "Smith" and of course the births are by district, not villa,e so I'd have to send for dozens of birth certs to narrow it down.
Also, I'm getting close to 1837 if not before, so I need parish records, elsewhere in the country I've found a lot on village sites themselves but no luck in Norfolk!
Petrina

Dawney

Dawney Report 13 Oct 2007 17:37

Take a look at FreeReg and Norfolk Baptism Project. I have found these sites very useful for my Norfolk Research.

Dawn

Lallie

Lallie Report 13 Oct 2007 17:59

http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
Might help?

Jo in Wales

Jo in Wales Report 13 Oct 2007 19:23

Hi Petrina

Sorry I thought I had replied earlier. I have checked both my cd's, the parishes you are looking for are not listed.

Jo

Heather

Heather Report 13 Oct 2007 19:25

Who are the people and details you are looking for and when? Maybe someone can point out a different direction for tracing them.

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 15 Oct 2007 12:53

Stargazer, Dawney, Heather and Capricorn

sorry not to get back at the time- all suggestions gratefully received.
Heather, I may have found a connection, if not I'll definintely be asking for more advice + names.

Thankyou everyone
Petrina

Mark_of_Four_(Counties)

Mark_of_Four_(Counties) Report 15 Oct 2007 14:26

Hi Petrina

tried this one yet?

www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I was on this earlier today. After scoring a hit, I used the previous/next household buttons to take a fascinating 'virtual tour' of the village.

I found two addresses having the same surname on the head of household; one where the surname was there as a domestic servant and the really neat one was a completely different family but the recurring surname was listed as mother in law, from which I could deduce the wife's maiden name. That clinches the link between those two family lines.

They're probably unconnected to my tree but it is breakthroughs like that which really make your tree start to mushroom.

Incidentally, I saw a notice on FreeBMD today, saying their database was updated on October 7th. Being as full of gaps as it is, if you can't find them today, try again this time next month.

As I understand it, Ancestry draws on FreeBMD data but lacks the colour-coding which tells you when you are looking at a 'gappy' list of results.

The trouble is, I like their search interface better.

Ancestry's 14-day free trial offer is still active at the moment, so make the most of it.

happy hunting!

Mark

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 15 Oct 2007 14:50

thanks Mark,
I'm posting a new thread as my Norfolk info just got more confusing!

Petrina

Mark_of_Four_(Counties)

Mark_of_Four_(Counties) Report 15 Oct 2007 15:14

Hi Petrina,

you must still be drafting it because I can't see it yet. Where did you put it?

And you're right, we should keep this one for generalities; keep the specifics of your problem separate but, afterwards, post a summary of whatever is learned through that, back into here. It's up to you though.

Mark