Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

fred gardner marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 14 Oct 2007 11:37

trying to find a marriage c 1925-1926 for fredrick gardner and ethel?
believe st dunstans, stepney.
looked from 1923 to 1936 on ancestry. no avail

new eyes may help

thank you teddy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Oct 2007 11:43

Did you check the Complete Index or the transcribed freebmd?

Roy

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 14 Oct 2007 11:54

I checked complete index, several times over the weeks. I subscribe to Ancestry, my eyes got tired looking. thought fresh eyes might be able to spot what I could'nt

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 14 Oct 2007 12:10

There's a marriage for Frederick Gardener to Mahala Cuthbert in Stepney Sept q 1926. Can't see an Ethel yet. Will keep looking.

Deb:)

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 14 Oct 2007 12:45

thanks deb,
this is john's uncle, maybe her name was not ethel.
johns brother found the banns of marriage at st dunstans for frederick gardner dec 1925. but we cant find anything else. he did not check brides name.

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 14 Oct 2007 12:49

Then the ref for this marriage is:

Gardner, Frederick C sept q 1926 Stepney vol 1c pg 496

Married Mahala Cuthbert.

I checked back to 1920 just to be sure and this is the only one in Stepney.

P.S I've sent you a daft photo. Hope you like it....lol

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 15 Oct 2007 10:05

thanks deb i think it might be the one, living in east end of london those times think she may not have wanted such an unusual name, and called herself ethel.
like pussy cat photo
off to hosp this afternoon 15th 2,30.hoping plaster will be removed.

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 15 Oct 2007 10:12

You'll be feeling pounds and pounds lighter when it comes off...........and you'll be able to soak in the bath...........oohhh, the luxury of it!

Have a good day

P.S I love the name Mahala. It's so pretty!

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 16 Oct 2007 12:22

deb
found mahala's birth on ancestry, unfortunately, not aunt ethel. mahala b 1902, ethel born 1897.
fred was 5 years younger than ethel(.he was born 1902.) which in the 1920/1930 period was frowned upon. but she outlived him for a number o f years.

we just wondered what her single name was.

yes now about 7lb lighter

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 16 Oct 2007 13:22

Hmmm..........I can't find another marriage in Stepney for the right time-frame. I wonder if maybe they married in a surrounding district?

If so, the search might be quite long. There's quite a few marriages in 1925/26 for frederick Gardner.

Which districts do you think might be the most likely?

Karen

Karen Report 16 Oct 2007 23:35

Teddy

Not sure if I am understanding you correctly.

You have located the banns of marriage in Dec 1925 but at the time did not check the brides name.

Is it possible, that like today the banns would be called in a number of churches (depends on where each party resided). I know when I got married our banns were called in three churches beacuse we were get married in a church outside of our respectvie parishes. If this was the case then the banns you have found does not necessarily mean that the marriage was conducted there.

Had a quick look to see marriages of Fredericks 1925/1926. Haven't found an Ethel so far but was wondering whether Ethel was a middle name:

1926 there is a marriage in Q2 of a Frederick C. Gardner to Audrey E. Winter in Wellington

1926 Q2 marriage of Frederick Gardner to Mary E Beasley in Brixworth

Haven't looked at Q3 yet.

Not sure if they are worth investigating further

Karen

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 17 Oct 2007 10:10

Thank you everone, will have a look, as said need not have been in Stepney, they did live in Bexley,Kent, and Swalcliffe, when he retired.

This was my b-i-l who found banns, but could have been someone else.

Of course they may have not married, but as they were a High Church C of E family, most unlikely.

Thank you everone who looked for me