Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coal Mine Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susie Floosie

Susie Floosie Report 14 Oct 2007 20:44

Does anybody know if coal mines kept records and if so can you search them? Still confused over occupations, see previous thread.

TVM Susie

brightonbellex

brightonbellex Report 14 Oct 2007 21:25

If the mine you are looking for is in Durham the Durham mining museum has a very good site with loads of info including disasters,men killed managers etc.I think it may have some links to other sites re mines in other areas.
Angie x

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2007 21:33

Coal mines probably did keep records but since the start of hte British Coal Compensation Scheme, they have miraculously dissapeared for most of the mines

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Oct 2007 21:34

Have looked at your occupations thread and cannot say that i have come across that occupation in 6 years of working for the Miners in their compensation claims - I work for one of the solicitors dealing with the claims

stephanie

Krissie

Krissie Report 14 Oct 2007 21:46

Try googling for the miners unions. They often have records in their archives.