Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do...trying to track someone down born in

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 15 Oct 2007 21:12

Hi there,

I have had a lot of success with tracing some of my tree back from 1901 - but where does one go when trying to trace someone born after 1901?

There are 2 people in particular I am trying to trace, one born in 1947 and one in 1921.

Any advice would be gratefully received,
Thanks
Sam

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 15 Oct 2007 21:42

I would check their birth year, and then start looking for a marriage for them both - start about 16 years after birth year. It might be quite a long search! Then look for children born to the couple. With those birth years, if they had children then hopefully they should still be alive, even if the parents aren't. Hope the names are relatively unusual and that they stayed in the same area!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Oct 2007 23:59

Dee,

What have you got to lose? I would write a letter and simply say that in researching your family history you find that you are related.

Give a very brief outline tree so she can see where the relationship is and ask if she has any family information she can give.

Enclose a stamped addressed envelope and give your email address and telephone number.

Even if she doesn't want to meet she may be able to give you useful information/family photos.

I would give it a try.

Kath. x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 16 Oct 2007 00:18

Cor!!!! so would I Kath!

My Grandad remarried when he was 80. (for company) He died before his second wife.

I'd love to know where all the photo's and momento's went after he died!

(Sigh!) If only everyone were as nutty about Family research as us.........

Give it a go Dee! You never know what will turn up.

Good luck

Gerri x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Oct 2007 01:56

Dee, I would go for it. I wrote to my hubby's cousin
(hubby didn't know he existed till my research), he was delighted we had contacted him, he remembered my hubby as a little boy (he's 25 years older), and my hubby's parents, we met about 3 months ago and he pulled out the family photos and it turned out he had appeared on This is Your Life (as a guest), and we have copied the video.

Through Genes I have made contact with the long-lost son of another cousin of hubby and next weekend we are all meeting up.

Then again, I wrote to another relative and got no reply, though I know I had the right people and address.

You've nothing to lose, and will kick yourself if you don't try.

Margaret

Samantha

Samantha Report 16 Oct 2007 21:01

Yes you must go for it! I dream of discovering a secret stash of old relative photos festering away in a cupboard somewhere...

Anyway, thanks for your advice Dee - how exactly did you trace these people? Was it via Ancestry.com? Sorry, I am a bit new to all of it!

Also, is there a fee for 192.com?

Sam

Samantha

Samantha Report 16 Oct 2007 23:10

Wow, that's amazing - you probably pass them all the time! Get writing that letter!

Everytime you search on Ancestry, how much does it cost? Is it worth me paying for this and 192.com do you think? It adds up this famil research doesn't it?!

Thanks for your help though, it's appreciated
Sam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Oct 2007 23:34

Samantha,

You can get a yearly subscription to Ancestry for about £70 - £75 which sounds a lot but it works out at about £1.50p per week which isn't much for any hobby. You can then use the site as much as you want 24 hours a day every day of the year.

You can also buy credits I think but not sure how much they are.

Most people on here would tell you that you won't get too far with family history without Ancestry, but there are plenty of people on here willing to do look-ups for you.

I'm not sure what 192 costs.

Kath. x