Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 16 Oct 2007 12:33

Can anyone suggest how I might find the grave of my sister. She died in 1970 (only a few days old) - three years before I was born.

In the 1970s, I believe it was custom to take the baby away - my Mum wasn't even allowed to see her before they took her.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Oct 2007 12:55

As she was born alive, there is a chance that her funeral was arranged by someone in the family.
Do you know the baby's birthplace and the name and address of the informant of the birth?
I would look for a burial place in the home area of that person.
Local churchyards may be full by then, if so contact the council ...probably parks and cemeteries department, who should have records of their various cemeteries.

Some areas have a bereavement office. They too may have records which could help.

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2007 12:56

sorry to say it was the practice then especially in Hospital for a little one to be buried with an unrelated adult who was being taken from the Hospital to a funeral directors for later burial.

The Hospitals thought they were saving the parents more grief and the expense of a funeral.

The only thing I can suggest is to get her death cert and then try the local funeral drectors to see if they trace her in their records. I,m lead to believe they would have been told by the Hospital and kept a record .

Shirley

Steven

Steven Report 16 Oct 2007 13:02

I believe she was born in Amersham, Buckinghamshire. She died the same day as she was born (premature).

I presume that my dad was the informant, but given that it happened the same day, he might not have had to register the birth and death at the local registry office?

Since I posted the original thread, I have noticed that Buckinghamshire NHS Trusts have a Freedom of Information section to their website, so I might be able to get something there.

Thanks for your help.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Oct 2007 13:17

Her birth and death would have had to have been registered by someone.
As you know her name you have a good chance of finding her.

Gwyn