Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Oct 2007 16:44

I wonder if anyone could tell me why my g.grandmother would adopt a child of 12 in 1901 when she was 64 years of age. The child was born in a workhouse. I can't find the surname of the child and mother (no father's name of birth cert.) that would tie in with any other relation. Has anybody any ideas?

Elaine

Elaine Report 16 Oct 2007 17:05

Hi Barbara,
Do you have them on 1901 census or before?If you post more info im sure some of us can have a search for you.
Elaine.

Judith

Judith Report 16 Oct 2007 17:25

There were schemes in many inner city areas in particular whereby children from workhouses were fostered out to be cared in healthier surroundings. Your g grandmother would have received a small payment towards the child's keep - don't know the particular circumstances but if she was widowed without pension then this could also have helped her to stay out of the workhouse herself.

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Oct 2007 17:32

Hi Elaine,

They were on the 1901 census but not the 1891. She could have been adopted between 1891 and 1901 because on the 1901 census she was 12 so she could have been adopted as a young child

Barbara

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Oct 2007 17:34

Hi Judith,

My g.grandmother was in Barrow-in-Furness which is not an inner city area and she lived with her husband and three of her children and three of her grandchildren.

Barbara

Al M

Al M Report 17 Oct 2007 13:21

I would very much agree with what Judith has said. It was very common for older women of limited means to take in a "nurse child" as it was called for a little money.