Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paddington & Hackney Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 16 Oct 2007 22:23

Hi,
My gg-grandfather in the 1891 census is from Paddington, London, but in 1901 is from Hackney, London. He is living in Eastbourne at these times. I've not been able to find him in any other census's.
I've looked into the districts, and on Genuki, it says that Paddington didn't become a district until 1895! So how can he be from there? Paddington & Hackney aren't neighbouring areas from what I can tell.
Can anyone shed any light onto this please?

imp

imp Report 16 Oct 2007 22:50

Hi Sarah

Birthplaces often do change from census to census, some ancestors can be very inconsistant..like to make life difficult for us.

Don't confuse a registration district with a place as they are different. I would have thought that Paddington as a place, would have been in existance for some time, but was perhaps not a registration district in its own right - it maybe came under Marylebone or something.............

Maybe he was just saying he was a Londoner...or perhaps he was not sure where he was born..

Gail. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 Oct 2007 20:47

Thanks for the replies.

I can't find him on any other censuses. His name Fred Mordant Pierce only comes up like that on the 1891 & 1901 when he is married and living in Eastbourne. Pierce can be spelt so many ways - and the only other clue is from his marriage cert. that his father was called Fred Pierce too and was a commercial traveller, which I suppose means they could have come from anywhere in the country.

JustKaz

JustKaz Report 18 Oct 2007 21:45

hi sarah,
my g.grandad was from scotland and moved to london and from 1871 was living in paddington and from 1901 was in mile end, hackney is in between, hope that helps..
xxxxxxx