Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A big problem with GenesReunited databases

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 16 Oct 2007 23:16

After finding a number of records for my forebears in Wales and England censuses on Ancestry.com, I bought credits on GeneReunited so that I could see the scans of the census records I had located and save copies.
HOWEVER, they cannot be found on the GenesReunited site.! ! ! After a few emails back and forth with Support, I received this advice ' If you have found details of this person on another family history site but not the Genes site it could be that the entry has been mistranscribed on the Genes site and entered incorrectly.
If you do manage to locate the individuals on the Genes site, please contact us with full information of the incorrect entry and we will submit a census data amendment form to ensure the transcription error is fixed.'
Well, this leaves me absolutley stuck !
I had already bought credits is anticipation of obtaining the records I need [The credits run out in a couple of days :-( ]
I know the info is out there on Ancestry.com, but paying the $300 upgrade required by that site up front, is just not on..
I'm not happy and very disappointed in the quality and reliability of the GenesReunited site.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Oct 2007 23:23

Ancestry.co.uk costs £79.95 for a year..............Ii assume you want UK records.......not American.

GR units are a bad investment...........there are better and cheaper ways to find info.

Have you thought of asking for lookups on the boards?

GR does not have any databases..........all it does is link you to existing sites..............

BTW...you can save the images from Ancestry...............

Reg

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 16 Oct 2007 23:50

Mary, if you don't want to pay out the money for Ancestry, why not ask someone on here to do the lookups for you.

As some one says, you can also try the free trial, but beware, its very addictive!

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 17 Oct 2007 00:08

Mary

Just give us the names and countys born your looking for....year of birth (near as damn it)

Theres loads of us on here that have Ancestry membership.

Let us help you on your way

Gerri x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Oct 2007 01:18

Genes 'Search Records' is absolutely useless as far as I am concerned.

I did a search on there out of curiousity and couldn't believe what I got!

There have only been 2 x Amos Elcock since the start of registration. They were brothers, the elder dying young and my GGrandfather being named after him.
So I should be looking for, under normal circumstances, 2 births, 1 marriage, 2 deaths and census entries only for the older brother.

According to 'Search Records' my GGrandfather Amos Elcock does not appear in any census records.......

Very strange as I have him with no mistranscriptions on Ancestry in the censuses from 1871 to 1901.

There are 300 BMD matches for Amos Elcock. If I was new to researching and didn't know how to use other resources to find some of the info for free....How much would that cost me???? Probably a good percentage towards an annual subscription to a site that gives both BMD and Census records.....Ancestry springs to mind.

Chris

Elsie

Elsie Report 17 Oct 2007 08:10

Try 'Family search.Org.' This is a Free database - very good for older records. Once you get onto site - go to Advanced Search. Lots of guidance from them to help you search to your best advantage. Alternatively they can provide details of an L.D.S. base nearest to you where you can make an appointment to go in and view their databases on microfische etc. free of charge. Their genealogy information for America is extremely good.

I have found tons of information on this site that I was unable to obtain elswhere. If at first you dont sucees, try again with this site - I am told that they 'rotate' information every couple of months because of the sheer volume of inormation they hold.

I agree that GR is not good on searches - but I have had very good responses from other facilities they provide, for example their trying to find board, matches on their hot matches has often come up trumps for me. Happy hunting.