Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Registered Twice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 17 Oct 2007 20:17

Hi, having shelved my 'Bond' family for a few months I've come back and found them ridiculously easy to get back to the beginning of the 1800's, of course, it's not yet backed up by certs but it's looking good from the census returns.

My 2xGGF had an older brother called John Nightingale Bond (named after his father who in turn had been given his mother's maiden name). I thought with a great name like that it would be easy enough to find a birth for him in 1861 Gravesend. And it was. The confusing thing though is that he's in the index in March Quarter AND June Quarter. I checked the original images and he is indeed on both but with different page numbers.

I haven't been able to find a marriage for the parents yet (John Bond to an Eliza) and that was the only thing I could think of. His Christening is on IGI in December so that's not related to the issue.

Any ideas?

Pam

Pam Report 17 Oct 2007 20:37

Hi
My great grandfather was registered twice too
First by his mother and a few weeks later by his father
l assumed daddy wet the baby's head -again and forgot their son had been registered so went and did it again
l applied for one of the certs and they rang asking me if l wanted the one with mum or dad registering the birth.
When you apply tell them of the double entry and they should check for you. Thats if you apply to the register office
Good luck
Pam

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 17 Oct 2007 21:14

I'll check out the reg office first. Might be better ordering from them. Although I'd rather only buy my direct Ancestor, I've not yet found his birth record so I may end up getting his brothers to find out their mother's maiden name.

I can just imagine the proud daddy getting a lil tipsy and forgetting but this is the next quarter even. lol

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 17 Oct 2007 21:42

I'm so curious it might be worth the £14 to get both lol. If only he was a direct ancestor I could be justified but with him being a sibling it's less pressing than some of the other certs that I need to buy.

I thought births had to be registered within 6 weeks of the birth? Maybe that's why the wrong date?

Oh...just had a thought... Maybe the mum got babybrain and forgot she'd registered it...they had a mad panic and went to register it and to keep with in the law changed the date? lol