Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CENSUS QUESTION

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terri

Terri Report 18 Oct 2007 16:07

Can anyone tell me if the census found on the net are all from the same source. In other words relatives I am not able to find on one site may I find on another?

Heather

Heather Report 18 Oct 2007 16:10

Well they are all from the same source but sometimes things do get badly mistranscribed on one which then turns up on another.

Who is it you are looking for?

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 18 Oct 2007 16:11

not all the census are the same source some are ancestry there is roots.uk and others all with diffrent info some are transcibe and are still be done

Heather

Heather Report 18 Oct 2007 16:12

But Rose, they are all taken from the same record source, the original census records. The fact is though that sometimes you can find someone on one set that you have failed to find on another. I often use 1881 on familysearch rather than ancestry because it seems better transcribed. I know a lot of people like to double check for missing people on find my past.

Terri

Terri Report 18 Oct 2007 16:28

That was quick!!

If you can help I would be most grateful, I am looking for

John Bartlett Shambrook christened 1831 Stepney & his father James Shambrook - mother not known.

On John Bartlett Shambrooks's married certificate 1857 it states father James as a Nut Merchant

Terri

Terri Report 18 Oct 2007 16:32

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

Now there is a chance of finding relatives on other sites I will give it a try. I wasn't sure if they were all transcribed by the same source, and if that were the case there would be no point in looking further.

Thanks once again. Terri

Terri

Terri Report 18 Oct 2007 16:37

Forgot to mention I am looking for the Shambrook's on the 1841 and 1851 census - have found them on later ones.

Terri

Joy

Joy Report 18 Oct 2007 17:18

Is this your John in 1881?

Birth Year 1831
Birthplace St George, Middlesex, England
Age 50
Occupation Driller (E/M Sink)
Marital Status M
Head of Household John SHAMBROOK

http://www.familysearch.org

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Oct 2007 17:24

1841 but need a look at the image

Name: John Shanbrack
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1832
Where born: Surrey, England

Civil Parish: St George The Martyr
Hundred: Southwark
County/Island: Surrey

Street address:

Registration district: St George Southwark
Sub-registration district: Borough Road
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Shanbrack 30
John Shanbrack 9

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1084; Book: 5; Civil Parish: St George The Martyr; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 9; Page: 9; Line: 3; GSU roll: 474668.

Could be Shambrock ?
Ann listed as Ind - Independent means

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Oct 2007 17:31

John Bartlett Shanebrook Anne abt 1831 St Georges East, Middlesex, England Head Stepney St Dunstan Middlesex
John Shanbrack abt 1832 Surrey, England St George The Martyr Surrey
John Shambrook Ann abt 1831 St George, Middlesex, England Head Linchouse London

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Oct 2007 17:33

John B Shanebrook Ann abt 1831 Ratcliff, Middlesex, England Head St Anne Limehouse London

Joy

Joy Report 18 Oct 2007 17:33

Is this how his name is transcribed in 1861, with a wife called Anne?
John Bartlett Shanebrook

.... snap, Jim.

Terri

Terri Report 19 Oct 2007 15:29

Thank you all for your detective work!

Regards Terri