Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 1 - How do I find out how someone died?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2007 21:52

Hi Folks,

I have being doing my family tree for a while now and I need some help from the long timers. My great grandfather (Corporal) James Edward Cannon died on 10 October 1917 in World War 1 whilst serving for the Duke of Wellington Regiment. I have ascertained that they were near Ypres at the time retreating from Landing Farm with the 12th Infantry Brigade (the Dukes were supporting the 12th in their failed advance). However, I do not know where to turn for further information to confirm how he died. We have family stories about how he died but I would like to know if there is any truth to them (the truth may shatter the romantic view for the older generations but I would like to know).

Thank you,

Caroline

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Oct 2007 21:55

His service records may be at National Archives, Kew, although lots didn't survive. Also you could look at the War Diary for the Regiment (at Kew) which would show what they were involved in on the day he died, although it may not mention him by name

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2007 21:59

Hi Ann,

Thank you for the response. I know that his records were/are part of the burnt archive held at the Kew. I also have information about what the regiment was doing on that day. This is how I have come to the end of the road!!! Do you have any other idea where I can look?

Caroline

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 18 Oct 2007 22:06

Have you tried the local newspaper where he lived? That might have an article about him.

Ozi.

* Report 18 Oct 2007 22:06

Hi Caroline.
He's on the CWGC.org website,copy & paste into address bar; http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1628024.

English Bob

English Bob Report 18 Oct 2007 22:11

....best stay with the family version, all records will only state either:- died in action, killed in action, died, died of wounds and etc.

Personal testimony is very hard to come by unless a Bravery award was made, then witness statements of the time maybe available, even then they will be sanitised.

Lest we forget,

Bob

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2007 22:19

Hi Ozi, not tried the local newspaper but I will.
Cheers Michael, I have the certificate (and medal card) and my grandmother still has the death medal with the original note informing his wife that he was killed in action.
Bob - family version is a nice comforting one (he had been at war for a long time when he died) and it has been suggested that he received his leave papers the day he died. In response to this excitement he jumped out of his hiding place onto raised land and was shot dead by a sniper. I suppose the story must have started with some truth in it.
Thank you again, I have a few more alleys to try. Caroline

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2007 22:22

Inis, tried the BMD and other places - I have never been able to find his death cert.
Caroline

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2007 22:42

Caroline

James is also listed on Findmypast - National Roll of the Great War

If you don't have a sub PM me your email and I'll send you a pdf of the entry

English Bob

English Bob Report 18 Oct 2007 22:47

...... I empathise, my Grandfather was awarded the MM for his actions during the 1st day of the 3rd Battle of Ypres while serving in the tank Corps. The Family story was that he left his Tank to rescue a wounded officer, brave enough........the truth was that he on the day was a runner, main targets for all snipers..... to stop messages getting through.

Life expectancy was counted in minutes, nevertheless, he did his work, wounded and survived.

So obviously I am very proud of him as I am of all who served and gave.

I would suggest that if you want the death certificate and that you have his name, service number, regiment and approximate date of loss, contact the GRO they are most obliging.

Regards, Bob

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2007 22:53

Caroline

James death entry is also in Findmypast you can use the references to obtain a death cert

Cannon James
No.: 3/11619
Unit: W.R.R.
Year: 1917
Vol: I.39
Page: 23

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2007 23:09

Patricia

Thank you very much. I will get onto ONS to purchase it and see what it says.

Caroline

lazymazy

lazymazy Report 19 Oct 2007 16:46

The death cert may not be helpful I'm afraid.

I obtained one from GRO for a member of my husband's family who was killed in France in 1918 hoping to find out more, but unfortunately all it says is "Died of Wounds" - which I already knew...

Eileen

Eileen Report 19 Oct 2007 17:31

If you saw 'Who do you think you are' last night with Matthew Pinsent, one of three of his forebears killed in the Great War, was listed as 'died of wounds (suicide)'. This seemed such an odd record, but when they looked into it, it appears that the man, hardly more than a boy actually, had been in charge of a tank. The tank had broken down, and by the time they got it going again the action they should have been in had finished badly. The lad was so guilt stricken that he got out of his tank and shot himself as he felt he had let his comrades down.
Honour was a very serious matter in those days.
The rest of the prog. was amazing too
Eileen.