Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SOLVED! Missing sibling help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 19 Oct 2007 00:43

My Grandfather Alfred Lewis was born in Leicester in 1925, the last of 7 children.

Florence Louisa- 1909 - 2001
Dorothy May - 1911
William Henry -1912 - 1913
Ellen Elizabeth - 1913 - 1914
George Edward - 1920 - 1993
Elsie Winifred - 1922 - 2003
Alfred Ernest - 1925 - 1986

My dad (my grandfather's son), knew their were 7 children, but did not know the names of the children who died as babies. I know what happened to all children except for Dorothy May born 1911.
I do know she was baptised at the same time as William on 28/08/1912 and as my dad had never heard her name from my grandad, I think she died as a child.

I have looked on the death registrations and haven't found her as yet. If anybody has a spare few moments to look or has any Leicester burial records from that time, I would be very grateful for the help.

I have to go now but will check replies tomorrow.

Vicky X

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Oct 2007 01:39

Is this the parent's marriage?

Marriages Mar 1913
Lewis Henry D Linkins Leicester 7a 395
Linkins Louisa F Lewis Leicester 7a 395

Perhaps she died under Linkins?

Rose

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 19 Oct 2007 02:32

Perhaps she grew up and married someone she shouldn't and was ostrecised from the family? I would say to look for marriages if you haven't already.

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 19 Oct 2007 08:40

Thank you both for your help. I didn't think to look for her under Linkins as all births and deaths of the other children are under Lewis. I will look at this next.

Also I will look at the possibility of her marrying.

Thank you

Vicky X

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 25 Jan 2008 16:17

Thanks to everyone who helped on this, I have solved the mystery of this over the last weekend.

I was scanning old family photos to make an album with them and all the family tree info I have found over the last year for my dad’s siblings. There were quite a few photos of people who my dad didn’t recognise, so I printed them off anyway under the heading “unknown family photographs” in the hope that somebody would recognise them.

I presented my dad’s oldest sister (11 years older) with one of them at the weekend and she recognised a few of them, including an aunt who was known as May, Mable or Mary and her husband Cyril and pictures of their children which she remembered a few names. After talking to her, I searched for a marriage and found that a Dorothy M Lewis married a Cyril Peake in 1938 and some of the children who my aunt remembered were born shortly after!

Thanks again for everybody’s help, in what turned out to be a wild goose chase!

Vicky X