Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is this the same??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 19 Oct 2007 14:34

I have a father listed on a marriage certificate as deceased but ships steward in the merchant services. Is the Merchant Servics the same as Merchant Navy and know where I could trace him, can't trace the person getting married so thought ok try and find his dad??

Dawn

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 19 Oct 2007 15:12

Dawn

When was this?

I think it was about 1913 when the phrase 'Merchant Service' came into use to cover not only seamen but also other marine personnel.

It would be worth your while doing a name search in the NA online catalogue...You may be lucky?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Chris

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 19 Oct 2007 15:29

Thanks I will try that, what was a Ships Steward, anyone know?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Oct 2007 15:32

This is the role of a Ship's Steward nowadays:-

What does a Steward do?

I do all kinds of hospitality jobs, such as serving lunch, breakfast and dinner. I could also be doing anything from cleaning the Officers' cabins to cleaning the bathrooms, or taking care of laundry, things like that. Basically, our job is to help the Officers with whatever they need because of the importance of their jobs. Officers have huge responsibilities and can often work odd hours, so they don't have time to take care of the more everyday things - that's up to us.

Kath. x

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 19 Oct 2007 15:37

would merchant services have covered the royal navy as well or only merchant navy?

D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Oct 2007 15:37

Just the merchant navy.

Kath. x