Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorces where do I look

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 19 Oct 2007 15:32

I have a person who was married at 29, are there any records of divorces in earch 1900's online that I could search?

Dawn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Oct 2007 15:36

Divorce was rare.....and very expensive.

Does the marriage cert state that the previous marriage was dissolved.?

To answer the specific point...........there are some on findmypast.......only the index,of course, and I don't know which years are listed.

Reg

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 19 Oct 2007 15:39

No, it states he was a batchelor but believe he could have been married before as he was married at 29 and also never had any contact with his family after his marriage to my GGM - mystery, cluthing at straws.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Oct 2007 15:40

My parents were 35 and 28 respectively when they married....neither had been married previously........

Reg

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 19 Oct 2007 17:47

Dawn, could be they just didn't like his choice of wife or he was embarrassed by his family (ie if they were of a lower status than the family he married into and he was pretending to be something he wasnt).

Unless you find another possible marriage then I would say there's nothing wrong with marrying at 29... I found someone in my tree was in her 40s before she married for the first and only time. He might have been in the armed forces or just not met anyone who he wanted to marry... maybe he was busy sowing his wild oats ;)

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 21 Oct 2007 08:39

thanks everyone, just clutching at straws as this man seems to be have just landed in 1912 and got married and then led a normal life, before then no trace - will keep going. I am beginning to think he was descended from Dr Who!!

thanks everyone
Dawn

Victoria

Victoria Report 21 Oct 2007 08:46

If he was born in 1912, you should be able to find his mother's maiden name. What is his name and we will look?

Kind Regards

Jane

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 21 Oct 2007 08:52

Hi

He was married in 1912, he was born - death certificate says birth 1880, marriage says 1883. No mention in 1881, 1891 or 1901 census and he never had any contact with his family after marrying my GGM Margaret Ellen Quinn, his name was John William Slater. They were married in Stepney, London in June 1912 and he died in 1926. They lived in Stepney still. Only thing his remaining children say is that he came from Strood in Kent - maybe right maybe wrong. His father was George - as listed on the marriage certificate and at the time of marriage Margaret and John were living at the same address Have asked about this before on here but determined to solve it and any help anyone can give me great. I am going away today but will check back in tomorrow to see any replies I get.

thanks in advance
Dawn

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 21 Oct 2007 09:10

Hey - I am taking offence (:-P - I married at 33, my parents married at 32, my brother-in-law married at 45. All of us for the first time - we suggest that we were just making sure.
We do tend to think that in the 1800's and early 1900's that everyone married at a young age. Not so - most of my women were mid to late 20's and males aged 19 to 30 something.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 Oct 2007 12:51

What do you think about this one: 1881 census

John William Slater
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Richard
Mother's Name: Jane
Where born: Strood, Kent, England

Civil Parish: Strood
County/Island: Kent

Street address: 22 Stanhope Rd
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: North Aylesford
Sub-registration district: Strood
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Dawson 48
Jane Slater 34
Jane Eliza Slater 2
John William Slater 2
Richard Slater 33
Richard John Slater 4
Edward Warwick 31

RG11; Piece: 883; Folio: 23; Page

Jennifer

Have realised that you said his father's name was George so this probably not the right one. There must be something about the Slaters as this family seem to disappear after 1881 without a trace!

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 22 Oct 2007 14:22

Sorry Bernie didn´t mean to cause offence, got married myself at 33 anyway but just going on young marriages. Rutland Belle yes there is something about the slaters they are driving me mad can´t find my GGF for love nor money.

will not let this beat me

D

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 22 Oct 2007 23:21

LOL Dawn... sounds like my maternal grandad...dropped out of the sky in 1943 and disappeared back that way in 1951. Although we did find a *probable* death cert in 1967 but no clue where he was before 1943 (he was meant to be born between 1899 & 1905) and no idea what he was doing and where between 1950 and 67.

Aliens I say...godamned aliens! lol

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 23 Oct 2007 15:57

anyone anywhere that can find the slaters fo strood listed above in 1891 or 1901 census, would be eternally grateful

driving me mad

D