Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doctors personal Patient Records??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 19 Oct 2007 19:20

Hi

What are the chances of doctors personal papers and patient records surviving? My ggg gran died at home in November 1886 in Holborn, London and the doctor who certified the death was Frederick Stearne Price who was an LRCP (Licentate of The Royal College Of Physicians) which is interesting, as I wonder if his personal doctors records survive at all? He was Irish and born about 1845 according to the 1891 census. Has anyone else researched a doctor who was an ancestor or the doctor who treated an ancestor, and have they managed to come across his patient records? Any ideas please?

Thanks

Ben

Julie

Julie Report 19 Oct 2007 19:35

Hi Benjamin
I wouldnt hold out to much hope. My father worked as a general handyman in a local hospital and he told me that he had to sort out a load of patient records to go for shredding as they dont keep them.
Julie

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 19 Oct 2007 21:32

Hi Julie

Thanks for the reply.

Ben

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 19 Oct 2007 21:58

Hello Ben,

Pity your ancestor didn't die in Glasgow. I have been able to source my rellies hospital notes 1885, 1889 and 1901 from the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Board Archive. The information they contained was certainly an eye opener.

bye Helen