Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Churches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 20 Oct 2007 10:33

Does anyone know of where I can find out the catholic church in Strood, know there are some parish records online for that area but need to know what the Catholic Church was called?

Also, if I know the church someone was married in, does the church hold anymore records on that person, ie date of birth or do they just have the info on the marriage certificate?

Thank You to anyone who helps

D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Oct 2007 10:39

From a Google search

It's All Hallows

See here
http://catholicdirectory.org/Church_Address.asp?ID=5855

If either bride or groom were baptised there you might find records...but not as a matter of course just because they married there, I think.

Gwyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Oct 2007 10:54

Another useful site........for all denominations

www.findachurch.co.uk

And.....of course.......google!

Reg

Julie

Julie Report 20 Oct 2007 13:21

It is also quite interesting to find the postcode and put into google earth.
I do yhat with quite a lot of my ancestor addresses, just to see if the houses are still there.
You can also see what sort of area they lived although it has probably changed a bit.
I have found quite a lot of mine.
Julie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Oct 2007 13:21

City Ark has loads of parish registers for the Medway area but All Hallows Strood are not included. You would need to contact them direct to find out where the old records are, The catholic church are very reluctant to release their records for online searching they particularly wont release them to the Mormon Church.

Shirley

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 21 Oct 2007 08:36

Thank you everyone, I will have to contact the church direct now I know the name, also I have contacted a church in london now and am awaiting a reply, once again thank you.

Janet

Janet Report 21 Oct 2007 22:09

You will find that the church in Strood is called
"The Engish Martyrs" at Frindsbury, Strood. Strood being part of the Medway Towns, you may have to check a number of the parishes around the area of Strood, Rochester and Chatham as they all run one into another. The website below will give you a history of this church, but remember to equate your ancestor's baptism with the age of the church, which is why I am suggesting that you may have to roam further afield. All Hallows is a small village a few miles from Strood but will come under the same umbrella. The diocese of your interest is going to be Southwark.

Janet
http://www.rc.net/southwark/englishmartyrs/

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 22 Oct 2007 14:19

thank you very much Janet you have been a great help
Dawn