Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast v Ancestry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Libby

Libby Report 22 Oct 2007 15:59

I already subscribe to Anecestry but I am wondering if it is worth subscribing to Findmypast as well.

Are the transcriptions any different to those on Ancestry? I have hit a brick wall with my gg grandfather(c1856). Can find him up until and including 1871, then again in 1901. it is in those missing years that he marries and has 4 children. Have tried every comnination of his surname but still can not find any trace.

I am determined to find him. My children have offered to buy me an early Christmas present but if is the same as Ancestry I would not like to waste their money.

Libby

Am heading off to work in 5 minutes, will check for any replys after 11pm

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2007 16:25

Some people 'hide' behind wayout mistranscriptions.
Try posting his name and others might be able to help find him.

Gwyn

Libby

Libby Report 22 Oct 2007 16:50

Got time wrong for when I am due in work so will give it ago with my Henry. If anyone can find any info I would be very grateful.

Henry Hansford GREGORY C1856, Southampton.
Parents: William H R GREGORY and Harriet.

Have Henry with his parents and siblings in 1861 and 1871. All of the Gregorys were mariners including Henry. In Southampton in both Census.

Next sighting is in 1901 in Liverpool, with his wife Annie and children: Frederick c1878 (my g grandfather) Charles c 1880, Amy (died as Amelia) c1882 and William c1884. Children are down as born in Salisbury but I think it should be Southampton from Info told to me years ago.

I have found a Henry Gregory in 1891 on board the "Robert & Sarah" off Hambleside but he is not mine - I have traced this chap back/forward.

Henry was a master mariner so I know he could have been away on census nights but can not find trace of Annie or the children in 1881 & 1891.

Have traced the marriages and deaths of his siblings and his parents. Traced the marriages and deaths of his children. Recently found Annies death and know where her grave is - am awating her death cert and my g grandfathers marriage cert. Henry appears in the 1911 Kellys directory but I can not trace his death either.

Have searched under Henry and Harry + Hansford, every variation of Gregory I can think of - even searched with Hansford as surname.

Have traced his siblings through the census and they are not with them either!!

Sorry this is so long winded.

Libby x

Libby

Libby Report 22 Oct 2007 17:20

Hi Yorkie

Yes this is the correct family.

I have found some info on the IGI about Annie and their children but it is a submitted entry and seems to be taken from the 1901 census..

Regards Libby

Libby

Libby Report 22 Oct 2007 17:26

I have found a possible marriage for Henry Gregory to Annie Lucy Cross in 1877 so will send off for this cert.

Libby

***Lindsay***

***Lindsay*** Report 22 Oct 2007 17:36

Dont know if you have this
Birth reg for a Henry Hansford Gregory
South Stoneham Vol 2c Page 60 First quarter 1856

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 22 Oct 2007 21:43

Findmypast.com was formerly named 1837online.com, and were the first to put the birth, marriage and death records of England and Wales online, for the purpose of allowing public access to the indexes, previously only available to search at certain locations in England.

They now also have census records.

Ancestry BMD indexes are not entirely correct and not up to-date...unlike findmypast.

I always check any BDM's that I've found on Ancestry with the findmypast.com website to make sure that I have the correct Volume & Page numbers before ordering any certificates from the GRO as I have found numerous errors in the past on Ancestry.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2007 21:51

The best place for bmds post September 1837 is www.freebmd.org ........ which is the organisation transcribing them!!

ancestry takes those bmds from freebmd so is always a few months behind.

sylvia

Libby

Libby Report 22 Oct 2007 22:26

Thanks for trying everyone - this confirms the information I already have.

Will wait and see if the certs throw up any new information.

Thanks again. Libby

Think I will ask my lads to pay for the FindmyPast sub

Historyman

Historyman Report 22 Oct 2007 23:07

The marriage Sept 1882 Cardiff 11a 426 Henry Hansford Gregory to Margaret Williams or Elizabeth Nicholls. I presumed because of full name looking unique that this would be him.
Have I missed something re wife Annie in 1901 Census?
Suspect that eventual full answer could be complicated.

Libby

Libby Report 23 Oct 2007 00:43

Oooo Historyman. That seems strange. Will have to look into that one. I know the family, with wife Annie, is the correct one. Annie is buried with one of her sons and his wife. Henry is not in the grave.

Thanks for that.

Libby

Historyman

Historyman Report 23 Oct 2007 11:04

Libby,
I would like to give you some general census searching tips on ancestry based on hundreds of hours experience on my one-name study. Most people expect to find the correct name they are looking for. I recently assisted a lady looking for her Radforth family. In 1901 they were Radford, 1891 Radcliffe, 1881 Radforth & 1871 Redford. Even wild card use would not have helped in all cases above.
If, say, you have a unique feature, say Annie Smith born 1850 Torquay Devon, but family always in Yorkshire. Select residence Yorkshire, female born Torquay Devon 1850 this will probably find her without any name at all. First names are good but Ann could be Anne or Annie, and William Wm. etc.
In your case I thought Annie Gregory born C 1858 Bishopstone, Wiltshire was quite a unique feature living in Lancashire in 1901.
Search Annie 1891 Bishopstone revealed Annie Ritchons Age 32 with 12 year old Charles born Salisbury. In 1881 she was Richens age 22 married and this time a 4 year old Albert T Shergold age 4 is a Boarder. (In 1891 he was 15 year old Albert T Ritchons son)
Whilst not suggesting any connection to this family other than co-incidence I would bear the case in mind until other proven evidence totally discounts them. Sorry could not be of more help