Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tailor to Her Majesty

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 22 Oct 2007 21:53

.. is the profession claimed by my ancestor in the 1851 census.

Delusions of grandeur? or might I be able to corroborate this?

Have had a surf around, and whilst there seems to be a lot of info about Royal Warrents etc, I can't find anything specific.

Can anyone suggest a web site or other resource where I could search?

Thanks

--
Richard

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 22 Oct 2007 21:58

Where was he living at the time? That might give a clue.

Historyman

Historyman Report 22 Oct 2007 22:01

Page 58 of the November 2007 issue of Family tree Magazine has a two page article re Records of Staff of the Royal Household. Worth buying a copy.

Richard

Richard Report 22 Oct 2007 22:13

Summer,

The Civil Parish is shown as "Westminster St John the Evangelist". The Ecclesiastical Parish is "St Mary"

Is this near Savile Row by any chance?

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 22 Oct 2007 22:33

http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/MDX/Westminster/WestminsterHistory.html

Certainly looks like he'd be in the right sort of area. And I wouldn't have thought it was something he would risk lying about on the census... although it depends on who gave the info... could have been his wife and some are probably prone to embelishing lol. He could have made one outfit for her or something. Or he could have been her tailor for a long time.

What's he doing on the other censuses and have you tried googling his name?