Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Double Barrelled Name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 22 Oct 2007 23:01

Hello,

i'm looking for information on how i go about search for a double barrelled name.

the name i am looking for is William Greenway Wilcox.

Thank you
Alison.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Oct 2007 23:20

It rather depends on where you plan to search.......

Reg

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 22 Oct 2007 23:22

It depends. It may not have started out as double barrelled. I have a Great Great Uncle who died Asbury-Smith. But Asbury was actually his middle name and not part of his surname (he was given it after his mother's maiden name - as was his sister)

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 22 Oct 2007 23:30

You have to try every possible variation of the names - including different spellings.....
William GREENWAY-WILCOX
William GREENWAY WILCOX
William WILCOX
William GREENWAY
etc etc etc

And dont forget he may show as Bill or Will. lol

Alison

Alison Report 22 Oct 2007 23:33

I do not have any information on him, i beleive he was born in Birmingham, UK, looking at a date of pre 1884. so i think the only thing i can search for at the moment is his birth certificate. but im new at searching, so i might looking in the wrong place to start with.

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Oct 2007 23:34

birth
William Greenway Wilcox 1859 Oct-Nov-Dec Birmingham (1837-1924) Warwickshire

marriage
William Greenway Wilcox 1885 Jul-Aug-Sep Birmingham (1837-1924) Warwickshire

Alison

Alison Report 23 Oct 2007 12:36

thanks to everyone thats given me help.

alison

Heather

Heather Report 23 Oct 2007 13:06

Its unlikely its a double barrelled name (no hyphen), so Id look for the surname as Wilcox. People had a tendency to add the surname of a mother or close rellie as a middle name.

Jim appears to have found very useful information for you - if that is your man, use the references to buy the certificates for information to go back further - GRO online for £7 each.