Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 24 Oct 2007 14:48

Anyone know how to find out whether somone was divorced between 1900 - 1927 in England???

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Oct 2007 15:07

You can have a 10 year search done for a divorce by getting in touch with this address:-

PRINCIPAL REGISTRY
FIRST AVENUE HOUSE

42-49 HIGH HOLBORN
LONDON WC1 6NP

It costs about £25 for the search and they need both names and if possible the date of marriage.

Unless they were quite well off it's unlikely they divorced as divorce was still quite expensive at that time and not easy to get.

Kath. x

CLK

CLK Report 24 Oct 2007 15:13

Hi Gillian

This probably isn't of much use if you don't know the date, but my grandparents divorce was in the local paper in 1950 as it was much less common then. Is it worth trying the local county court for records? They were able to help me get a copy of mine from over a decade ago! Good luck
Claire

Gillian

Gillian Report 24 Oct 2007 15:50

Thanks everyone for your help.
I have a puzzle that I am trying to solve:
My garandad- Walter Mann married my grandma Annie Kilby (nee Fowkes) in 1927.
Annies 1st husband-Herbert Kilby whom she married in 1909, died in 1914. Annie had 5 children. 4 boys born 1910,1911,1913 & -1917(?)-. She then had a girl in 1922 - Irene, who was my mum - she passed in 1977.
Irene was registered at birth as Kilby, then re-registered in 1934, correctly, as Mann.

I know that Annie married Walter Mann(born 1879) in 1927. I wonder why they didnt marry before this given that Irene was born in 1922 and Annies 1st husband had died in 1914. and I believe that Walters wife had died in 1919.

So, I looked up Walter and found that he had married an Ada Rutter in 1899, they had a son in 1900- Ernest Mann.

I HAD believed that Ada died in 1919, but I havent yet seen this death cert to be sure it is the same Ada. I have since found out that another Ada Rutter died in Middlesbro(?) in 1910, which, if THIS were his wife, would have left Walter free to marry again.
(Doesnt quite tie in though, as so far ALL my relatives have been from Leicester).

In addition, I have found a marriage between Walter Mann & Eliza Draper in Leics 1912, so I am now trying to find out IF this marriage is the reason that Walter & Annie didnt get married sooner. ie had he been married TWICE before he married Annie, was he still married to someone else when Irene was born in 1922?- Quite a story!!!

If Walter DID marry Eliza Draper from Leicester born 1877, when did she die, was it before 1927? ( ie when Walter Mann married Annie),
Did Walter & Eliza have any children?
Did Eliza not die & did they get divorced?-
Can anyone help at all???
Many Thanks ...Gill