Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing ancestor help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 25 Oct 2007 12:11

William Platts born 1852 in Leicester - Father
Emma Platts (nee Jakins) born 1857 in Stoke Albany, Northampton - Mother
William Platts born 1881 in Leicester – Child
Florence Ada Platts born 1882 in Leicester - Child
Emma Platts born in 1886 and died in 1886 in Leicester - Child

In 1891 Florence is staying with her mother’s parents in Leicester and William is staying in London with an Emma and William Curry and they have a son called John who was born in Leicester in 1889.

There is no death record that I can find for William Platts and no marriage record for an Emma Jakins/Platts and a William Currey. I ordered the birth cert for John Curry to make sure it is the same family and under mothers name it says “Emma Curry formally Jakins”, there is no mention of the name Platts anywhere.

I also have Florence Platts marriage cert from 1902 and it states her father William Platts as “Deceased”.

Does anybody know if it is usual for a mother to lie on a birth cert about being married if she wasn’t? And can anybody see either a death for William or a possibility that he is somewhere else?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance

Vicky X

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Oct 2007 12:23

My grandmothers birth cert (1900) suggests her parents were married but they actually married in 1914

Potty

Potty Report 25 Oct 2007 12:40

Can't find a death for William Platt(s) from 1886 to 1891 that would fit.

Do you have the death cert of Emma B1886? If the informant was her father it would cut down the search period.

I can't find the family in 1891 for reference

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Oct 2007 12:42

Are you taking into account transcription errors?
If this is them it disagrees with his place of birth.
William Platte Emma abt 1852 Northamptonshire, England Head Leicester St Margaret Leicestershire

death?
William Platt abt 1852 1889 Oct-Nov-Dec Poplar (To 1965) Greater London, London, Middlesex

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 25 Oct 2007 12:53

Hi, yes that is them in 1881, William himself was born in Leicester but most of his siblings and parents were born in Northampton so that’s probably why he said Northampton on that census.

That death in 1889 looks promising, I will order the cert to see who the informant was.

I will also but Emma’s death cert to see if that reveals anything.

Thanks

Vicky