Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT DO YOU GET FOR YOUR MONEY.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 20:06

Can anyone tell me what you get when joining Ancestry, do you get free usage of the b.d.m. and census so you can look at the actual relevent pages,or do you still have to pay to look at these like you do with genes?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Oct 2007 20:08

It's free! All the time you're on! I buy a yearly sub and it's worth every penny.

Jill

Sam

Sam Report 25 Oct 2007 20:10

You can look at the actual pages - not the certificates themselves, just the actual pages from the indexes.

Same with the censuses, once you have found who you want in the indexes, you can look at the actual census pages.

Well worth the money in my opinion, credits for Genes are a rip off.

Sam x

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 20:10

Thanks for that Jill been thinking of joining for a while maybe make it a christmas present from me to me.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 20:14

Thanks Sam.you are right genes is a rip off. By the way I have found loads of my relatives in Stoke where you are.

Neil

Neil Report 25 Oct 2007 20:17

Can i suggest you take a look at this - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=963598

You will get 3 days free access so you can then decide for yourself if its worth it

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 20:20

Much obliged Neil I will give it a go.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 20:37

Thanks neil I just tried it and it worked. Many thanks.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 25 Oct 2007 21:19

Yes, it´s well worth it. Of course you only see the indexes, (indices?). So if you were looking up Sarah Strangebones for example you would see the year she was married, and sometimes the surname of spouse, then you can cross check the spouse and it should be the same date. You won´t get an exact date, but you will get year, and which quarter of year marriage took place and also district where registered, (not the village church). If you look up a birth you will only get as above and not name of parents. But I´ve found loads of marriages that way, also it is usefull to find babies who were born and died between the 10 yr census. I spend ages on Ancestry looking for these lost babies! Of course if you want more info then you have to buy the certs. and if the surname is a common one then you would have to confirm with cert.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 21:24

Thanks Daisy chain I think I will benefit from joining,early Christmas present for me I think.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 23:11

Just looked at your message Valerie, I have been looking on the free ancestry site and it is good value for money when you think what a little you can have on genes for a fiver.

Heather

Heather Report 25 Oct 2007 23:28

Ived had ancestry for 4 years and I dont know what Id do without the sub.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Oct 2007 23:30

Just been on again it's brill Heather.Got to go baby crying.Bye.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Oct 2007 00:16

LOL, glad the link worked for you.