Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip for cleaning white headstones

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 28 Oct 2007 16:24

The grave for my Nan and Grandad is really dirty and covered in moss and it's flithy..........a white book that was first done in 1978

Over the years we have tried hot soapy water, scrubbing brushes and even I'm afraid to say bleach.

Then I thought I would try the Magic Eraser from JML ( did a thread on here about it a few months ago ) it's cleaned everything in my house from the kids trainers to paintwork and all you add to the sponge is water,
I took it yesterday to the grave and crossed my fingers and BINGO

IT'S LIKE A NEW HEADSTONE I KID YOU NOT !!!!!!

It stands out amongst the other stones and is gleaming like new

Try it if you have any white headstones in your family and I promise it will bring them up like new

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Oct 2007 16:36

That's a great tip.

I wonder if it will work on any headstone. My mother's is grey granite and I noticed last week that it was getting quite grubby. Anyway I think I'll give it a try as I shouldn't think it can do any harm.

Thanks.

Kath. x

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 28 Oct 2007 16:41

Kath try it as you only add water to the sponge no chemical's at all

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 28 Oct 2007 19:33

Hi Maddie
Where can I get this sponge from and do you think it could do anthing for a 50 year old white granite headstone that's embedded with moss

Joy

Joy Report 28 Oct 2007 19:40

I remember that.

That's brilliant news!

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 28 Oct 2007 20:17

Great tip! Thankyou Maddie,

I shall try it on my brothers head stone. xx

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 28 Oct 2007 20:58

you can get them in Boot's for £3.99 or order online on the JML website..........I have cleaned everything with it............shower tray, cooker hood, fridge, you name it and it's cleans it

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 28 Oct 2007 23:50

We'll get some tomorrow for my in-laws grave, 20 years worth of grime.

Thanks Maddie

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 31 Oct 2007 18:20

Has anyone tried it yet............can't wait to here if any of you have as much success as I did ???

Patricia

Patricia Report 31 Oct 2007 18:54

Not yet, but I've ordered one and I can't wait to try it on a gravestone we've had trouble trying to clean.

Thanks for the tip.

Kind regards

Patricia

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 31 Oct 2007 19:44

Too dark to go cleaning up headstones but I tried the "all singing, all dancin sponge" and my leather suite looks brand spanking new.
Worth every penny

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 2 Nov 2007 19:05

Seaham Lass

I used it on my dining chairs, leather seat and back in cream and they are now lovely and look like new