Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buckinghamshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 28 Oct 2007 20:14

I understood Loudon was in Buckinghamshire, but I am blowed if I can find it. Now to add to my confusion I find that on the 1851 census William Robert brn abt 1795, and living in Buckinghamshire is down as being born in London Buckinghamshire. Have I misread London for Loudon?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2007 20:33

If its Ancestry then must be mistranscribed in the indexing have you looked at the actual Image.

Joy

Joy Report 28 Oct 2007 20:35

Am looking at the image - looks like London, yes, but there is no such place in Buckinghamshire. GENUKI site gives parishes.

Looking again - don't think it's a d after all.
I'll look again later or tomorrow.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2007 20:37

yep had a look at the actual image & its LOU?EN Bucks

Cant read it properley cos writing is flourished .Is there a Louten Bucks

Pete

Pete Report 28 Oct 2007 21:15

I don't think the first letter is L.

Take a look at the word "Son" and then decide if the first letter could be S (albeit written with a flourish)

However I still don't know where he came from!

Pete

Julie

Julie Report 28 Oct 2007 21:26

I wonder if it should be Loughton, but was spelt Lou ton

Joy

Joy Report 28 Oct 2007 21:46

Abbreviated version of Saunderton?

Janet

Janet Report 28 Oct 2007 21:51

There is a Loughton in Bucks, I think it is near to Buckingham but a gazateer will find it. One of my ancestors worked at Loughton Bucks in the 1700's!

Janet North London Borders

Janet

Janet Report 28 Oct 2007 21:59

Just remembered it is a suburb of Milton Keynes now. You can find it with a google search Loughton+Buckinghamshire.

Janet North London Borders

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 29 Oct 2007 10:16

Many, many thanks for all the help and replies. Had to go out last night, so sorry for the lateness of this reply, again thanks