Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This is one for the men!! SHIP AHOY!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Oct 2007 21:59

2 of my rellies went down on H,m,s,EDGAR [the first]....1711 ship of the line 3rd class, but for the life of me I cant find a decent picture of it, Ive googled up down and sideways , royal Navy museum , is there an old tar out there can help?

Heather

Heather Report 28 Oct 2007 23:45

Have you tried Greenwich Maritime Museum? (Not an old tar here though! but most of mine were naval men)

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Oct 2007 23:50

Thanks Heather..I'll trot off and have a go.. I'll settle for a young'un !!

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Oct 2007 01:09

nope, it says few plans etc for that time, looked at painting, model ships,battleship Galactica,..........................doh............all suggestions gratefully recieved.............Thanks

Joy

Joy Report 29 Oct 2007 01:25

No picture yet, but from this site:

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/hantscat/html/ftr_sea.htm

A wreck is indicated by a buoy name:-
Edger Bouee
at Spit Head in the Solent; the wreck of HMS Edgar which blew up and sank 1711.

Joan

Joan Report 29 Oct 2007 08:18

Maybe the book?

HMS Edgar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Ten things you may not know about images on Wikipedia •Jump to: navigation, search
Eight ships of the British Royal Navy have been named HMS Edgar.

The first Edgar was a 70-gun third-rate launched in 1668, rebuilt in 1700, and destroyed in an accidental fire 1711.
The second Edgar was a 60-gun fourth-rate launched in 1758 and sunk as a breakwater in 1774.
The third Edgar was a 74-gun third-rate launched in 1779, converted to a prison hulk in 1813, renamed Retribution in 1814, and broken up 1835.
The fourth Edgar was a screw-propelled 91-gun second-rate launched in 1858, on loan to the Customs Service as a hulk in 1870, and sold 1904.
The fifth Edgar, launched 1859, was renamed Hood in 1860.
The sixth Edgar was a Edgar-class cruiser launched in 1890 and sold 1921.
The seventh Edgar was an aircraft carrier launched in March 1944, renamed Perseus in June, and broken up 1958.
The eighth Edgar was to have been a 9,000-ton cruiser; projected in 1945, the ship was cancelled in March 1946.

[edit] References
Colledge, J.J. and Warlow, B. (2006) Ships of the Royal Navy : the complete record of all fighting ships of the Royal Navy, Rev. ed., London : Chatham, ISBN 1-86176-281-X

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Oct 2007 09:32

Thanks for all your help,its sad because they were only 14&17, I,m off to the library for more. Many thanks

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 29 Oct 2007 13:27

HMS Edgar exploded off Spithead and sank in 1711. One of her guns was recovered and now stands on the Thames waterfront in front of the Tower of London. Not been able to find a picture of the ship though - sorry

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Oct 2007 15:02

Thanks Colin, I'm now a driven woman! Determined to find an illustration of some kind, school history lessons were never this interesting.Ive done,Pepys, Admiralty,naval history and many many more! thankyou

Derek

Derek Report 29 Oct 2007 16:10

Hi Lindsey,try this site, www.superstock(.)com/search/Clipper/art, scroll down to last but one on left, looks about right, Derek in France

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Oct 2007 17:22

Oh.wow... what a beauty,, thankyou so much,... it says Christies underneath, since I cant afford their prices I'll have paint my own, have a huge canvas primed and ready, I can't thank you enough. I only put this up at ten oc last night, never expected an answer so quickly . Bless you.