Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Alternate Names Symbols

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Potty

Potty Report 29 Oct 2007 18:30

In Ancestry results, when there is an alternate name for entry, shown by a yellow triangle, does anyone know where these names come from?

I know the symbol that looks like a little tree with a + on it is a correction because I have done a few of these myself and you can click on Corrections and Comments and see who has done the correction and why. With the triangle ones, there seems to be no way of finding out where the alternate names come from.

One has appeared against one of my grgr...grandmothers and isn't the maiden name I have for her, so it might mean I have the wrong person.

In this instance, I think I can see why the alternate name has been given, but I am sure it is wrong.

Elaine

Elaine Report 29 Oct 2007 18:53

Hi,
My gt Grandmother is on the census with her family under their surname , as daughter married , and under her married surname in brackets with a yellow triangle. Or sometimes people have just been mistranscribed at some point and this triangle stays as a form of correction.Hope this helps !
Elaine.

Diane

Diane Report 29 Oct 2007 18:56

potty,

I thought the yellow triangles were also alternatives submitted by other members, I am sure they were in the case I had recently, and on the one in particular I was looking at the person had explained why they were correcting it.

Guess it all depends how certain the person is that puts up the alternative.

Will have a look for you if it helps. Just post the details.

Potty

Potty Report 29 Oct 2007 18:59

Thanks Elaine

I was wondering if it was anything to do with alternate names in trees on Ancestry -that also uses a yellow triangle. Do you have your tree on Ancestry?

What worries me about this one is that I am sure the alternate name is wrong. It should go against someone else in the same record (same christian name) who I am sure is listed with the incorrect surname on the image.

Potty

Potty Report 29 Oct 2007 19:12

Hi Diane

With the other symbol for alternate names, the little tree? with a +, you can see who has done the correction and why but not with the triangles, at least I have never been able to.

Here is the record:
1861 England Census
about Mary Lamport
Name: Mary Lamport
[Mary Ham]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813
Relation: Head
Where born: Fetcham, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Farnham
Ecclesiastical parish: Hale
County/Island: Surrey

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: Farnham
Sub-registration district: Farnham
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 37
Household Members: Name Age
Elizh Lamport 32
George Lamport 19
Jane Lamport 21
John Lamport 28
Mary Lamport 48
Mary Lamport 34
Mary Ann Lamport 3
Sarah Lamport 24
William Lamport 16
William Wells 65

This family have driven me mad. Mary's age is incorrect (on the 1841 she is 35, in the 1851 43 and here on the 1861 she is 48 and her daughter Mary is 34 - 14 bit young even then!)

Sarah Lamport is I am pretty sure Sarah Ham (have marriage for Sarah Lamport and John Ham in 1857) and is the mother of Mary Ann age 3 here (have Mary Ann on the 1871 as Mary A Hans. I have done a correction for this which can be looked at.

Sarah also has a yellow triangle with the alternate name Sarah Ham.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, had to keep refering to my tree and the census result

Diane

Diane Report 29 Oct 2007 19:38

Sorry Potty...

see what you mean, when I look back at my example although he had put alternatives for all the family members where the surname should have been Moreton instead of Marston, it was only on one that he had put a comment and explanation. The one with the comment did have the blue symbol with the + on it, the others all yellow triangles.

I would stick with what you know or believe, too many other people will jump to conclusions which aren't necessarily right.

Good luck

Potty

Potty Report 29 Oct 2007 19:45

Thanks Diane

The same things seems to have happened here - I have done a connection for Mary Ann and all the others have been given the same Alternate name, even though they were all Lamports, well except for the eldest Mary who was nee Wells.

If this is happening every time a correction is done, some people are going to get some very wrong results. I think I will take this up with Ancestry.

Once again, thanks for checking that out for me

Potty