Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Difficult cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 30 Oct 2007 11:32

Could someone give me some idea of what the following could possibly mean?

On a birth cert, it gives mother's full name then in brackets underneath ( Filler. ROF).

Deb:)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2007 12:12

What year is the birth certificate?

Are you sure that's what it says? If it is mid 1900's could it actually be an occupation - like Fitter, RAF?

ROF could also stand for Royal Ordinance Factory.

Kath. x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 30 Oct 2007 12:20

I agree - I think it stands for Royal Ordinance Factory.

Esta

Esta Report 30 Oct 2007 13:27

Hi I work for BAE Systems who bought ROF from the MoD. The ROF I work at the Glascoed site but there are also sites in Birtley, Radway Green, Bishopton etc

ROF stands for Royal Ordnance Factory. The one I work at is based in Glascoed in Usk and makes Munitions for the Ministry of Defence. A filler would have been a person (usually female during war time) who actually filled the munition casing ie bomb casing or more unusually bullet casing.

The Glascoed site still has some of the old clocking in records for the employees - not sure about other sites.

Hope the above is of help.

Sue