Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do i find which cemetery/s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Oct 2007 12:13

i have the details of of nan and grandad deaths......
i know what area

but how do i trace which cemetery??

thank you

lynn x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2007 12:21

Try ringing the local county or borough council for the area and ask for the cemeteries department.

A lot of cemetery departments have their records on computer now and if you can give the names and exact dates of death they may be able to look up the burial records for you. Some charge for this service and others do it for free.

Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Oct 2007 12:23

thank you Kath

lynn x

Pete

Pete Report 30 Oct 2007 12:40

Hi Lynn

Here's how I do it.

If they died in the area in which they lived, they are likely (certainly in years gone by) to be buried in that area. If they died in another town to that in which they live (and are some miles away) then they may be in the town in which they died as moving the deceased would either not be an option or would prove expensive/difficult.

Assuming they are in the town in which they lived then you typically have 2 routes. One is a Catholic route and one is Anglican (C of E, Methodist etc). If the family are typically Catholic then you should try there first.

If you visit a non-Catholic cemetery and it is say, C Of E, and your family were say Methodist then you should head towards the "Non-Conformist" section of the grounds if they have one.

Quakers are often buries in "Friend's" cemeteries.

I hope this is of some help.
Pete

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Oct 2007 13:42

thank you so much Pete

lynn x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 31 Oct 2007 00:26

Since you have the dates of death, have you looked for death notices in the local paper? These often give details of the funeral arrangements.

Richard